Shattering a Wine Glass with the Sound of a Trumpet!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NickD, Dec 11, 2007.

1. JustinSmith

JustinSmith Piano User

Nov 6, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    That was cool Nick.

2. NickD

NickD Forte User

Well, this clip is the most often linked in the Science and TEchnology catagegory. It has had about 1100 views in the first six days. I want a million! I've got to get Oprah on this!

;-)

Nick

3. Majestic1

Majestic1 New Friend

Dec 12, 2007
    Nice job, Nick.

Try this procedure if you will to not only break the glass as you have already done but to shatter it as well.

Click the glass with a hard object like a spoon next to an automatic tuner to find the exact pitch. Tune your trumpet to that pitch. Put the bell of your horn directly above the glass instead of the on the side so that the waves will be equal on all sides of the glass.

Oh, you might want to wear protective clothing so that this will not be a castrating experience.:-)

4. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    :-o

5. NickD

NickD Forte User

Majestic,

That is all I did. I explained that in the video.

I want to do another one in which I break 5 glasses in a nice major pentatonic mode! I've got other stuff to do in the meantime.

OK, gotta split.

Nick

6. ebtromba

ebtromba Pianissimo User

I knew it!!! music is overrated!! this is clearly what the trumpet is for, breaking things!!

just kidding. that was really neat. I assumed the cheap mic on your camcorder was really limiting your dynamic range (and not to mention distorting your sound) Basically what I mean is, you said you were playing as loud as you could, but from the recording this totally was not obvious. I think someone else mentioned this as well.

again, that was really cool. how long did it take to find the resonance frequency/how did you find the resonance frequency?

also, would the result be the same if you played an octave higher? an octave lower??

7. Constellationplayer

Constellationplayer New Friend

May 11, 2007
    Awesome! I wish my teachers at school would demonstrate resonant frequency like that!

8. brunets

brunets Pianissimo User

May 28, 2007
    Gatineau,QC
    They would have to learn playing the trumpet first, I guess... ;-)

Excellent video! :D

Stéphane

9. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    Your Nuts!!!!!!!!!

Tg

10. tomialfa

tomialfa Pianissimo User

Nov 30, 2007
    San Diego
    WOW, truly amazing what you can do with a trumpet and a lot of free time.