Shaving

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by trumpetpimp, Jul 14, 2005.

1. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    I hate it. Every man can sympathise. Some dislike it more than others but after the first couple years(who am I kidding? The first couple weeks...) the novelty wears off.

I'm thinking of trying an electric razor. Are there any that can shave as close as a blade? I've tried Googling but reviews seem sketchy and hard to come by.

Is there any personal experience out there? I'm not concerned about price. If it's good enough I'll buy it. Does anyone(and their wife/girlfriend) love their electric shaver?

2. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I hate electric shavers. I hate shaveing cream too. I just toughen up and shave with a blade without any shaveing cream, it'll suck the first week, but you'll get used to it.

3. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I used to be an electric shaver man. But I could never find one that worked better than my Gillette Mach 3 turbo. I have had (and still have) every high-end electric razor, they just don't work for me.

4. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    mach 3!!! thats where its at. the electrics suck. i had a really really expensive panasonic, it took just as long and didnt get as close.

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    The best electric shavers can never get as close as the best blades, pure and simple. Forgive me, Victor Kiam.

I'm also a hot water and Mach 3 guy but I have an electric shaver. I simply don't expect a great shave from it in the amount of time a blade will give. Long live the goo strip!

ML

6. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I also tried an $80 electric shaver, but it drove me nuts. Razor burn, plus by 8:00 pm my face was like sandpaper (according to my wife). Now I am back to a blade, gel, and very hot water. I also have never been able to tolerate a "soul patch" for the mouthpiece to rest on. I like that area smooth. A razor blade works well to keep that area smooth, and lop off any blackheads, zits, or ingrown hairs that may be forming. The trick is to change blades often and to use very hot water.

I will try a Turbo MAch 3.........

7. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    That's the bit that I hate. The cutting and bleeding of those tiny little zits and bumps(I don't have acne so it's not that. I passed through that phase:D).

If you push hard(well, "hard", y'know, within reason) you get a smooth shave but you cut yourself to ribbons. If you shave lightly you don't cut yourself but you have a 5 o'clock shadow at 8 AM.

It's only my chin and upper lip that get cut up. I've got a beard on my chin but the rest in clean shaven. I'd grow my full beard back if the girlfriend could stand it. I guess I'll just have to keep going with the Mach 3.

8. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Another Mach 3 Turbo guy here, combined with King of Shaves oil and gel.

The only combination I have found that doesn't cut my face to ribbons.

9. Mr. Semman

Mr. Semman Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2005
    West Brookfield, MA
    Like most of the posters here, I use the Mach 3. I also use a shaving brush with mug soap. Then again, as I shave my head too, I seem to go through the blades faster than just shaving my face. I only use the electric shaver to trim my mustache.

After forty years of shaving, it has become more of a habit than a chore.

Gary

10. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    Mach 3 with shaving gel, seems to work better than the regular shaving soap. have tried several different brands of electric shavers and none did as good of job as a blade. old geezer Dave