Shedding in Hotels

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JonathanShaw, Aug 22, 2009.

1. JonathanShaw

JonathanShaw Pianissimo User

Jun 29, 2006
    I'm on vacation in mexico and need to practice. anybody have any experience with this and have any thoughts to share?
    Thanks
    J

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Tricks from the road huh? Well, the standard practice mute, shoving a ball of socks in the horn, playing into a pillow, turning up the TV loud eough, etc... lol. You'll figure it out. MPC buzzing can accomplish a lot also and it's not too loud.

3. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Just practice, most people are out in the middle of the day! I have never recived any complains..:-)

4. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Mid day is good, and most larger hotels have unused ballrooms and backrooms if you can sell it to the concierge. I got that at the Ritz Carlton in SF. I hate the mutes, but in a pinch, using something that's free blowing like the Brass Spa from K.O. is better way to go than most.

If you're in Austin near the river, you can just walk down in the middle of the day into the brush where they have a beautiful view of the water and start doing some down home blues. The boaters will thank you.
    Ed

5. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I used the trumcor Lyric Stealth practice mute a couple of weeks ago when I was in a hotel and my wife tested it out by standing in the hallway and she couldn't hear a thing unless she put her ear right against our door. So I practiced for about an hour in the evening and there was not problem whatsoever.

For open-horn playing I walked out to the furthest corner of the parking lot and played out towards the trees and nobody complained about that either.

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I just play in the room. I did the same thing on a cruise ship. No one ever said anything

7. TrumpetMonk

TrumpetMonk Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2009
    West virginia
    I use a brass spa practice mute, it works great imo

8. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I will take my cup mute (adjustable cup) put a small rag in the cup about the size of a handkerchief and make it a tight cup. Works beautifully and have never had to field a complaint.

9. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    I second the mouthpiece. Just have fun buzzing different tunes. No risk-plenty of reward.

10. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    I used the Silent Brass mute on a cruise ship last month and never heard anything from anyone. I also use a Brass Spa mute sometimes. That's a little more free blowing, but I think the Silent Brass is a little quieter.
    Bob