Shepherd's crook

Discussion in 'Horns' started by mkmiller, Jan 15, 2005.

1. mkmiller

mkmiller New Friend

Could someone explain what the function (or effect) of a shepherd's crook is and maybe why it is common on a cornet but rare on a trumpet (i.e., Marcinkiewicz). Thanks, Malcolm
    :?:

2. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Malcolm,

I have always been told the use of a shepard's crook was for band leaders of smaller, dixieland groups, where the conductor was also the lead cornet player. He would use the crook to put his arm through, for conducting. He could also double on another instrument, while holding onto the cornet for a bit quicker transition of instruments.

I have no real idea how the bend of a shepard's crook affects the sound, but I'm sure it does something. At the very least, the extra length makes it slightly slower with response (Pure guess)?

It is mainly a cosmetic affect now, especially with the double shepard's crook.

Van

3. ernieo2

ernieo2 New Friend

May 22, 2004
    Van Nuys, California
    Shepards crook

I found this informtion on a website giving a history of cornets and trumpets:
    "Many believe that the cornet's distinct tone can be partially attributed to the presence of the shepherd's crook, but this is a popular myth. The tone of a brasswind is determined by the type of metal used, the bore size, the thickness of the metal, and by the bell-type. The actual purpose of the shepherd's crook is to shorten the overall length of the instrument, and to clear the bell tubing away from the mouthpiece."

4. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    %&^@$#&@[email protected]%^#[email protected]#&!$^#$

Crap, I'm wrong...

Van

5. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    Van, but it sounded so good!