Shiny valves, even after so many years

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MrRage, Dec 1, 2011.

1. MrRage

MrRage New Friend

Nov 19, 2011
    Recently I bought a Getzen Super Deluxe Tone Balanced Cornet off ebay. I didn't spend too much on it and it looked like it was in good condition (the bell was not destroyed or looked to have any repair). When I got it in I oiled up the valves and noticed they were pretty dam shiny for something that should be about 50+ years old. A few days later I took them out, wiped them down and took a picture of them. And this is

[​IMG]

For comparison here are the valves out of my 1991 Yamaha 2320. That instrument was used for its first 6 years, and spent the rest of the time in its case. I know these valves are made of different materials and will wear differently, but I thought it was an interesting comparison.

[​IMG]

2. Jappe

Jappe Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2011
    Antwerp, Belgium
    They don't look that old to me? Are they refinished or something? They seem to have no wear at all.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Those Yamaha valves are probably Monel, and therefore SHOULD be dull in appearance.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My SD trumpet valves look the same. Monel will look different too.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The Getzen valves are famous for being tough and long lasting. When there is NO sign of wear, I get suspicious if before the sale somebody polished them down which would hurt the compression.

6. MrRage

MrRage New Friend

Nov 19, 2011
    Interesting. Well I'll get the compression checked, I've been meaning to take it in for a checkup anyways. The horn has a satin finish on it so it might have been reconditioned at some point. I think I got it from someone that was doing an estate auction because all they did was take a few pictures of the outside and made no mention of valves or slides, and had 1000 other types of things they were selling.

7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Most of the Conns I work on have valves similar in condition, they just don't show any wear.... Pretty amazing.

8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    aren't they stainless steel, versus monel plated brass??

9. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    It may be just me, but it looks like buff marks at a right angle to the piston.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I do see signs of wear, though minimal. The right angle buffing is on the stem part of the valve.