Shiped Two Mouth Pieces today for $2.19

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lovevixen555, Feb 9, 2009.

1. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    So Ihad these mouthpieces that needed to go back tot he supplier a while ago and I had just forgotten about them inthe trunk of my car(aka the black hole). So I had long ago addressed the envolop which is a 3M buble wrap padded envolope. These mouth pices have seperate tops and back bores. The backage contained two tops and two back bores. Each piece was itself wraped in generious amounts of bubble wrap. To send it through the post office first class was $2.19. I had to watch sick kids so the wife ran the errands today so I do not know if she insured it or not I would have. So where am I going with all this??? Good qustion!!! When I order mouthpieces off ebay I get shipping charges inline with what I just paided and they always insure them as well. So why it that when you buy a mouthpiece from companies like Music123,Dillions etc....they charge you $12 or more to ship a $63 mouthpiece??? You expect them to be getting a preffered rate due to the traffic/total volume of mail they send with any carrier they use. Ihave friends that arepower sellers on ebay and they get deals all the time plus some of the carriers give them free box's etc....

I used enough buble wrap to protect the hope diamond and stuck the two mouth pieces into a buble wraped envolope so I know it is not due to weight or volume etc.... Do items from big companies like Music123 even ship from their location or are they drop shiped fromtheir suppliers? I am just trying to find out why their is a $10 premium for them to send one mouthpiece over what it cost me to send two? I have actualy cancelled an order when I first got started playing again due to their shipping price and instead shopped on Ebay and got much more realistic shipping cost.

this same thing applies to all products a bottle of Alysn syntetic oil is under $2 but the shipping is $3-$4 for a .80 once bottle of oil? So short of doing all my shopping on ebay are their any music stores that have decent shipping??? I am bit spoiled I guess because Amazon,NewEgg,Buy.Com and a bunch or other online retailers usualy include free shipping on a lot of items and almost always on order's over $25 etc....Anyone else tired of this? I have to say a $63 moutpice ought to have the price of shipping built in at that price point!If you buy a $3000 trumpet do they charge you $50 to ship it to you or is shipping normaly free on an instrument purchase?

So any stores that have reasonable shipping charges for items please post their name because I wouldlike to have some additional choices beside Ebay for items like mouth pieces. My local store only carries Schilke and Bach.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I ordered a mouthpiece and Schlossberg book from Dillon Music at Christmas and 2-day shipping was less than $9.

3. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I wounder why they wanted to charge me $12.95. It was towards the begining of the school year. I wanted a Stork I believe it was and it was Dillions web site. I did not mind the $63 for the mouth piece give how long they last. When I went to finalyze my order. When given the choice I alway pick the cheapest rate I am not the over nite type I can wait a week. It was showing $12.95 for one Stork Mouthpiece. I cancelled my order. i went to buy some Alysn synthetic from AMazon but they where useing Music 123 for that item. I think the oil was like $1.80 but shipping was $4.95 so again I cancelled my order. Onthe other hand my Chromatic tuner came out of Amazon's warehouse and was $17 + free shipping and it was a Korg tuner.

I guess I am just tired of companies pickingmy wallet from every angle they are already makeing a huge profit off the mark up on the part's and such but then they want to go and make a profit on their shipping by purposefuly over chargeing. I know many people probably just pay it and do not think twice but I hate being cheated.Their is no way a .80 once bottle of synthetic valve oil should cost the same to ship as a quart of motor oil given that niether is Haz Mat item and the Quat weights much more then .80 once of valve oil and is larger as well. I guess I just expect too much from the music industry. You know their is a fair and reasonable profit margin then their is just rakeing people over the coals! I have run across one tech company like that and I only ordered from them once! Never again. You see this on Ebay from time to time too. So far all my trumpets and cornet's have been between $12-$23 to ship. The $12-$17 ones have been when the person packed it themselfs with buble rap and paper the $20-$23 ones where proffesionaly packed by paypal with styrofoam peanuts and poured foam. All have come in a wood case with the case weighting probablya s much as the trumpets they where protecting. So when you see someone chargeing $45 for shipping on a trumpet you know what he is up too! These people often shoot themselfs in the foot. This one guy had a trumpet that would have easily brought $150-$300 if I rember right it was an Olds Recording model in very nice shape. It only had one bidder and I thinkit went for under $80 because the guy had a shipping price of $45 and he was not over nighting it. I asked him if he was going to ship it over night for that price he said now. He could have gotten a lot more. Anytime I see prices like that I either skip them or I factory that into my total price I will pay for the trumpet and substract the difference as I think all people do! So I fail to see how over chargeing people melps to generate income when many just go some place else. I am probably going to look and ebay and stock up if I find any good deals or wait until I go to a big convention.

4. Zman

Zman Pianissimo User

Dec 24, 2008
    Vancouver, Canada
    Recently I tried W*BW as I saw they have good rates on some Giardenilli mouthpieces.

I live in Japan so was expecting to pay around US$12-$20 for USPS postage as that's what I have been paying from private sellers to ship me mouhtpieces - no way - shipping charges came out at US$56 for 2!! :shock: - those guys can kiss goodbye to my custom forever.

I'm sure they will be losing a lot of international business over that decision to hike shipping rates in a time when they need sales the most.

(I guess they need to make it somewhere - but I prefer to pay for it up front and not have the margins loaded into the shipping charges.)

I think MPE will be getting my custom from now on as they have better shipping rates.

5. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    when you search the internet for the lowest price....you typicly get bit by the shipping bug.......It's the way companies can stay the "low price leaders" and stay in business :)

rettepnoj likes this.
  6. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I know it is getting to the point that I actualy hate to do business with any company that specificly sells instruments or instruments acc.'s! I do not have anything that is under warranty so why go to a dealer? Even if I did warranties in the music bussiness are not very long and you usualy have to go throught the company for warranty work correct? So if I am not renting and do not need to go to a dealer for warranty work why give them my business at all. SOme guy selling from his garage on Ebay will sell the product for less and will charge realistic shipping. It just seem like everytime you try to do business with a company that deals to musicans they want to stick both hands in your poskets and then flip you upside down and give you a good shake just to make sure they got it all! I understand why so many people get frustrated with the price of things. That is whynow more then ever I can not wait to have my own valve oil. This will be one less thing they get in terms of business. Smae thing with grease. I know it is not much but if I buy used and make my own lubricants that is one less person supporting their insane price gougeing. I almost wounder if theiris a price fixing racket going on as well but how would you prove that short of a whistle blower???? I definately do not want my tax dollars going towards something as silly as investagateing the music industry no matter how much I think things are not legit!

7. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    Yeah, If you're going to get a good conspiracy theory going...valve oil probably isn't the best place to start....... ;)

8. DivineWind

DivineWind New Friend

Jan 17, 2009
    Most businesses don't use the USPS for shipping, but UPS or FedEx who will pick up, and their minimum rates are much higher....

9. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    If you buy from your local store, the price of the actual item will normally be higher
    than if you buy from the internet.
    Why? The price is calculated included all costs to bring the item to the store.

If you buy from internet stores, (the cheapskates) the price of the item will normally be lower
    (of course) than if you buy from your local store,
    BUT, to bring this item directly to your house, you will also need to take
    the whole cost for "shipping & handling" (S&H) which includes packaging, paperwork
    and shipping. If you live in another country than the store/internet store,
    you will also have to pay for the export customs clearance.

The point is: If you buy from your local store, they normally buy larger quantities,
    and can disperse the costs over a larger number of items.
    So, I will now denie my first sentence and proclaim that it is normally
    cheaper to go and support your local store than buying from the internet.

If you send 2 mpc for $ 2.19, and packed them in all kinds of used packing material,
    you have done all the operations for free, and the only cost will be the shipping.
    To calculate the value of your job, you will have to figure out the real cost of
    the packaging material you used, how long time you used for the job,
    AND how much gasoline you used to bring the packet to the post office.

The companies will have to PAY for the job you have done for free.

This is how the market works, all over the world.

rettepnoj likes this.
  10. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    To send 2 mouthpieces interstate in Australia postage AU$ 5.30

To import a trumpet into Australia from England AU$ 1371.10

Of this $442 was freight (by air) and insurance, the balance govt tax and charges.

The airlines have a system where the charged weight is the actual weight plus a volume factor which meant an actual weight of 6kg was charged as 17kg