Shipping costs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Glennx, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    i recently sold a horn to a buyer overseas. The challenge: how can I get the the horn to them in the most economical manner? We're talking Ottawa, Canada to Adelaide, Australia here.

Air Canada Cargo ships airport-to-airport and doesn't go any closer than an 8+-hour drive to the destination. I've checked UPS, Purolator and FedEx and they'll all charging $650-850. Believe it or not, the least expensive seems to be Canada Post's 'Priority Post' at around $475.

These shipping costs are 1/3 the price of the horn or more. Sure, it's a *really* nice horn and a good deal, but these shipping prices are insane.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Send it to a friend in the US ($40.00 or less) Have them send it on ($ 75.00)

3. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi Glenn. I don't recall buying a horn from Canada, but have had several shipped from South of your border. Typical prices have been around $70-150 with USPS parcel service. The tracking service integrates with that of Australia Post.

Is Canada Post that much more expensive than the USPS? Transit times have been 6-14 days. Same with other smaller parcels from Canada.

tj

4. MichaelMontcombroux

MichaelMontcombroux New Friend

Aug 19, 2014
    Manitoba, Canada
    Surely, from Ottawa it wouldn't be that long a drive over the border to the nearest U.S. post office?
    I've shipped stuff to Australia and New Zealand and find Canada Post rates crazy. And they're fellow Commonwealth countries!

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I shipped a horn from the U.S. to Europe and it was only about $80. If you can mail it from the U.S., I'd do it.

6. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    Thanks for the suggestion! I'll follow up today. The quote I got from Canada Post was for Priority Post, their only means of shipping internationally. Based on a packed carton weighing 10 pounds (4.5 kgs) with dimensions of 24" x 17" x 11.5" (61 x 43 x 29 cms), their quote was a whopping $472.95 ...and this horn and its case are remarkably light to begin with!

Cheers!

7. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Ouch! I see on the Canada Post website that there are other international services listed. Maybe a query at your local PO will turn up some cheaper alternatives. I'd expect anything much past 2-300 bucks would put you in FedEx territory.

Canada Post - Mailing & Shipping

It's a nice time of year for a drive South anyhow. :-)

8. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    UPDATE: I just called USPS in Ogdensburg in Upper New York State, gave them the weight and dimensions...and wow! Including insurance, the cost to ship from there to Adelaide is actually less than $100. Woo-hoo! So my buyer will be very pleased to know that his shiny new horn will shortly be on its way at at an affordable shipping cost.

Thanks for your good advice, TJ !!

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Plus, you get a nice trip to visit beautiful New York State's 1000 Island region and the leaves are turning! Make sure to allow some time to enjoy that!

10. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    Thanks, guys. Including insurance it was all of $110 from Ottawa to Adelaide for an 11-pound box, and was delivered to the door in less than 10 days in perfect condition. USPS has my vote!