Shocked

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gary Garcia, Aug 5, 2008.

1. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    The time depends on how many school districts they work with. In St. Louis none of the shops can work on a horn during the summer. When school starts in the Fall you can get a horn back in a couple of weeks.

Try our local Band Instrument Service Company.
    Home
    Take the St. Charles tour while you are on the site.

2. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    Charlie is about one of the best but man that is a freakin long time to wait for anything

3. Gary Garcia

Gary Garcia Pianissimo User

Apr 27, 2008
    san jose,ca.
    Thanks for the input.I emailed them yesterday and aked them to send it back as the timeframe was unacceptable.It was to late to call them yesterday but I will call them today,thanks ---Gar

4. Uniquetrumpet

Uniquetrumpet New Friend

Aug 28, 2006
    That repair shop is run by the the Kaye family. Ransalear Kaye was the designer of a modular trumpet back in 80's.....The Ransalear Trumpet

This outfit is the WORST.......

I had a friend in LA order a new trumpet from them. Told it would take 6 weeks......they took 1 year! At the same time, a friend of his sent them a trumpet for some minor repair work........they held onto his horn for about a year as well.

Worst yet, they do not return phone or emails.

They are very dangerous, as they come across as elderly,very religious folks but once they get your money things change fast......

I hope they send you you horn back within a reasonble time....

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  5. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Did you get it back?

6. Gary Garcia

Apr 27, 2008
    san jose,ca.
    Mrs. Kay called me yesterday.She is supposed to send it back to me this next week as soon as they get the valves back from the platers.I have gotten emails from other trumpeters who are having the same problem with them telling people 6-8 weeks and then taking over a year.She says it is only her husband doing the repairs and 1st come - 1st serve.If they had originally told me that it takes them 9-10 months, I would never have sent it.I emailed Ransalear Kay that if they did not return my property immediately that I would talk to their local Pickett County sheriff or hire a local attorney to press charges.We'll See -----Gar

7. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

After that, if you still need the work done, head up to oakland at A&G music, whatever you want done to your horn, Dick Akwright can do it (personally)

8. Gary Garcia

Apr 27, 2008
    san jose,ca.
    Thanks, I know Dick and he does superb work. The only reason I sent it to this guy was he said he could do this committee trumpet in a black plate with gold accents and engraving. The horn needed work or I would have kept it original.I supplied a charlie's brass works leadpipe with it. This was a 1945 committee and I actually have three others one of which Dick Akright did for me.When I get this one back,I'm going to have Dick do it--I hope --Gar

9. jsimpher

jsimpher New Friend

Aug 10, 2008
    Dude get your horn back, and call a place called St. Louis Woodwind and Brass. They do the best work I have ever seen. I had an internship there for a summer, and in the process saw Maynard Ferguson, Jim Manley, and countless other musicians bring in their horn for work. Their number is (314) 921-0012. Call them up and see what they can do. They to a great thorough job and it won't take that long.

They may be able to find a place that will do the finish for you also.

Good Luck

10. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hi, Gary,

How much will it cost you to get your horn back before taking/shippiing it elsewhere? I assume the Kayes' have expended some money (replating valves) for some of the work already in process? I assume they will expect to be paid for the part of the work they have already provided? I assume that you leaving it in their hands and not cancelling before work started, as they would have justifiable costs involved for which you should pay.

If work has already started, that would only seem fair.

Best wishes,

Lloyd