Shocked

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gary Garcia, Aug 5, 2008.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  2. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    If you're looking for engraving, Welcome To Artistic Engraving!! Specializing in Hand Engraving! does this job for cheaper than that musical repair shop.

Dale Proctor, a TM member, had his cornet engraved by them last year

Pics and details are here
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f140/cornet-back-engraver-34295.html

and it looks great from the looks of the pictures, and ...

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I am not attempting to pile on here. We all know that nothing is a sure sign of anything. Simplistic, stereotypical characterizations inevitably cause more harm than good, and can serve no constructive purpose. We must behave like adults, and that is a reasonable request, IMO.

It is very easy to let your fingers to the talking and hit Submit before, as Wilmer Wiseone puts it, putting brain in gear. And words, once posted, have the potential to offend, even if that is not the intent of the poster. Editing after the fact is too late. We are "here" to share with others our love of and experience and "obsesssion" with all things trumpet, and we stand a great deal more to gain if we don't push other's buttons or drive them away. Kindness and consideration are as vital to this forum as embouchure and breathing and practicing are to what we seek from playing the trumpet.

4. Bill McCloskey

Bill McCloskey Piano User

Apr 22, 2007
    My comments have nothing to do with offending anyone and everything to do with common sense in protecting yourself. Religious language IS a sure sign of a scam. That doesn't follow that everyone using religious language is trying to defraud, but in almost every case of this type of fraud that I know of, the scammer used religion to create a false sense of security. It is a fact. As the poster implied: he was lulled into a false sense of security because they seemed religious. This is a ploy that needs to be publicized for the sake of protecting the innocent or naive.

If you need to direct your indignation at someone: try the repair shop that caused the problem in the first place.

5. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    You contradict yourself in those first 2 sentences.
    The first sentence is absurd, the second sentence is common sense.

In the third sentence,
    you pretend to know that a repair shop used a "ploy",
    but you really know no such thing,
    since they might actually be adherents of that religion
    but extremely poor examples of that religion.

This is a trumpet forum, so we should keep the subject on trumpets, not on the alleged religions (or lack thereof) of people.

- Morris

6. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Whether a business is operated by people who are Christians, or from other religions, and/or no religion at all, you should get a quote for services in writing and research the reputation of the dealer.

It has little to do with religion, but more with adhering to common sense. Cover yourself - do your research - get the cost of repairs and restoration in writing - follow up.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

7. Bill McCloskey

Bill McCloskey Piano User

Apr 22, 2007
    Whatever Morris. Believe what you want. I'll say what is necessary to keep people from being defrauded. Ignore my posts if they bother you.

8. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Hey guys, Let's get off the topic of religion and get back to trumpet. How about we come up with some ideas for where he can send his horn when he gets it back (hopefully)

Charlie Melk
    Dr. Valve

9. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    hmmmmmm?

This thread started as a warning about sending your horns away?

And ends in a discussion about religion?

Seems like this thread has too much fast air :stars:

10. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    I already said lets drop it Morris.