Shofar?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by neal085, Sep 22, 2014.

1. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I recently took it into my head that maybe it would be fun to pick up a shofar, just because.......... I did. A few questions:

1. Is the embouchure the same as for a trumpet?
    2. What are the different kinds?
    3. What to look for, where to buy?

Anybody have any experience or familiarity with them?

2. FireandAir

FireandAir Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2014
    AFAIK, a shofar is literally JUST a horn, no other materials added. I think I read someplace on this site a story about an American orchestra (Chicago? Cleveland?) who was playing a modern piece that used shofars, and the brass players were having a devil of a time with the things until they took the shofars that the orchestra had bought for the piece and surreptitiously routed them out so that they could put their mouthpieces into them.

Updated to add: Here you go -- http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/embouchure-role-teeth-78762.html#post784452

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    As far as I know, ram horns and the horn of the Kudu can be considered kosher, and such that are without flaw are "signed off" by a Rabbi. Basically there are two signals used. A call with long tones is used to assemble the people, and another to sound the alarm.

4. MAZ

MAZ Pianissimo User

Aug 6, 2007
    To illustrate in common music terms, think in 4/4. The shofar blasts in the Rosh Hashanah liturgy are:
    Tekiah - dotted half note
    Shevarim - three quarter notes
    Teruah - three sets of staccato eight note triplets
    Tekiah Gedolah - a very long sustained note that ends a "stanza" of blasts.
    There is a short break (like a quarter note) between each.

Here is an example of how the blasts are sounded:

Tekiah Shevarim-Teruah Tekiah
    Tekiah Shevarim Tekiah
    Tekiah Teruah Tekiah

Tekiah Shevarim Tekiah
    Tekiah Teruah Tekiah

Tekiah Shevarim Tekiah
    Tekiah Teruah Tekiah-Gedolah

It is customary to sound 100 blasts during the entire Rosh Hashanah service. When Rosh Hashanah falls on a Saturday, the shofar isn't sounded.

And, yes, I'm the shofar blower for our synagogue and I'm very good.:D

Mine is like this one:
    shofar-140032.jpg

5. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    Not to toot your shofar or anything.:play: Great information! Thanks!

6. MAZ

MAZ Pianissimo User

Aug 6, 2007
    To buy one, I'd go to a Judaica store in your area or contact a synagogue or temple as most have a gift shop for religious articles. The "mouthpiece" ends will vary depending on how it was cut and drilled out. You'll want to try a few. All are MUCH smaller than a trumpet rim.

Also, many shofars smell after blowing them, an "animal funk". Mine does. There are many methods of cleaning them, ex. plug the mouthpiece, pour in hydrogen peroxide with water, let sit for a little while, and rinse out. I've never found a method that completely works. I think the shorter rams horns are scraped out inside the horn and that probably eliminates the smell. That would be impossible with the spiral of my kudu horn.

7. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Emphases on the mouthpiece, if you can call it that, are "sharp" and "small". I use a significantly different embouchure on mine than I use on my brass instruments.

To add to MAZ's comments, the blasts often use a harmonic interval, depending on the length of the shofar, of approximately anywhere between a major third to a major fifth. Here's a good example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Qw4HZkZDw

8. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Well Shofar so good, on this thread

Sorry couldn't resist it

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Doggone it! I was gonna say that!!! Guess I could horn in and ram puns down our throats, butt, I don't want to be the goat!

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Maybe its just me, but I've never had a problem getting a sound from a shofar regardless of length.