Shofar?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by neal085, Sep 22, 2014.

1. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    When I started this thread, I knew it was only a matter of time. Thank you for handling that early on, Andy.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I would suspect that a French horn player could make the transition to Shofar easier than a trumpet player. Their mouthpiece is smaller with less rim. The main problem with hydrogen peroxide if left open is that it weakens to plain water and is not much as a cleaning agent then. I propose that that a lesser amount of fresh hydrogen peroxide be introduced, then both ends plugged and hand agitated to optimize it's effect, although even then I wouldn't expect much effect to eliminate odor.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Shofar no real solutions. Bad , I know. One thing not mentioned as a possibility is some type of sand or abrasive material. Fill it halfway and plug the ends and shake it like a maraca! Any "material" left will be sanded off by the shaking. Since it is porous material, moisture will find it's way back in there. So...

4. MAZ

MAZ Pianissimo User

Aug 6, 2007
    I've heard of using aquarium gravel as the abrasive material but I haven't tried it. I've also tried mouthwash but the shofar smells like an animal that ate a tin of Altoids.

I joked with a friend that a shofar is the original natural trumpet. If I drill three holes in it, maybe I can play baroque lit.

5. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I have a friend (a sax player who is also a Jewish, not a rabbi but is certainly a leader and teacher--and he plays the shofar as part of religious ceremonies). His wife, a horn player, is much more adept on the shofar than he is--so there is validity to the speculation that horn players have an advantage. Anyway, I wanted to get a shofar as a demonstration instrument for my congregation and he advised me that a natural horn shofar presents certain problems that may include smell/taste, deterioration, insects. As my intent was to merely use the shofar for demonstration I would be beter served purchasing a plastic shofar--no bad taste, no bad smell, no cracks, no problems as long as you exercise reasonable care--don't sit on it and don't leave it any a hot car. Just my 2 cents worth--the plastic one works for me, it might not for you.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I knew a pastor who used one regularly and never cleaned it! Yeah, it smelled real "good". He grew accustomed to it, the smell, and would leave it in the podium. Guest speakers would come in to preach and you could see the look on their faces as they are thinking, "Where is that smell coming from"?

7. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I have to use a cornet mouthpiece with my shofar. The hole was so tiny and painful it was damaging my lip. Using a mouthpiece also gives you Much more volume. One important tip: When you play, make sure the end is lower than your mouth. If you tip it too high, your breath will condense in the horn, and the water with dead animal smell will trickle back into your mouth. You don't want to vomit in front of all those people.

8. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    QB looking down field for Shofar, Shofar.....flushed from the pocket, bootleg right, panic hands, scrambling, fumbles, recovers, and.......punt!

I think you just talked me out of a Shofar. That's gross.

9. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    vomit.gif

10. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    While the topic is ... um... settling. Are there similar issues (smell, etc) with conch shells?

thanks.