Shofar?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by neal085, Sep 22, 2014.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Once the "snail" like creature is gone, no.

2. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Well, I didn't mean to talk you out of playing shofar. I was just trying to warn of the dangers. Like, "Don't spit into the wind". Or, "Don't pull the mask off the ole Lone Ranger".

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Trust me, worse things could find their way in there! From Wikiland concerning the kudu (Shofar) horns uses:

Use in sport[edit]

In the sport of kudu dung spitting, contestants spit pellets of kudu dung, with the farthest distance reached being the winner. The sport is mostly popular among the Afrikaner community in South Africa, and a world championship is held each year.

Where's the VOMIT emoticon!!!??? :shock:

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I disagree, conches, shofars, and all other wind instruments pick up a real funky odor if not kept clean. Still moisture that remains in them is attractive to the development of mold as can really add to the foul odor. I don't own a Shofar yet, but the kadu one shown, I'd clean just as I do with brass using Dawn dish detergent, rinse it well, dry it thoroughly, wrap it in clean cloth and store it in a plastic pipe (PVC) with end caps with desiccant (silica gel crystals) added. Alternatively, one could acquire a mailing tube from art / engineering supply store of the type used to hold and transport rolled blueprints. For my antique conch horn, I put it in a Zip Lock type bag, and then into a internally padded box. I'm currently cutting / grinding a mouthpiece in a second conch. PS: Conch shells are now prohibited importation into the US and will be seized as contraband along with penalties levied on the importer.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    IDK Ed. I've had conch shells that never smelled and I never cleaned them.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Were yours modified as horns and then used as such?

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Only had one as a horn, but dozens as shells collected from beaches. We KNEW when a shell wasn't clean!! ROFL