Shopping in Seattle

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Chuck Rose, Dec 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Chuck Rose

Chuck Rose Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2016
    Petersburg, Alaska
    Leaving the frozen rock in Alaska at the end of January headed for the Seattle Boat Show. While I am there, I thought I would take the opportunity to shop for a new cornet.:D

Not that I need one. My current instrument is more than adequate, I suppose, given my skill level. It is a basic student model, a Cuesenon Lafayette that was already old when I acquired it fifty years ago. I had it refurbished several years ago so it is in excellent condition. Still, you know how it is; and I am sure no one here will fault me for wanting another horn even if I can't play up to the limits of the one I already have.

I'm hoping to get some recommendations of where to shop for a new or nice vintage horn in Seattle, WA. Also any recos on musicians to go see or teachers to contact while I am there. I will be staying in the Queen Anne area.

2. JDay

JDay Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    Hi,

If looking for vintage check with Dan Oberloh before heading down. He usually has a good selection of used vintage horns worth checking out:

trumpets <-Cornets too...

He just worked on a couple of my horns, and does fantastic work.

Cheers! -Jack

3. dabuzzer

dabuzzer New Friend

Jan 1, 2008
    Yup, I agree. Great old Bach's in his display as well.......

Displaced Seattleite - Bruce

4. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I think I heard that Metropolitan Music recently became an Austin Custom Brass dealer, so they should have a nice selection of mouthpieces.

5. RRVancil

RRVancil Piano User

Sep 24, 2009
    Littleton, Colorado
    Dear fellow TM members,

Here we have THE earliest documented (time from first post to wanting additional horn) onset of N + 1. Poor Mr. Rose.......who is now standing on that slippery slope. ROFL

Hey Chuck, keep us posted......and Merry Christmas!

Rick

6. Chuck Rose

Nov 28, 2016
    Petersburg, Alaska
    My lifestyle protects me from acquiring too much of anything. I live on a 27 foot sailboat.
    https://youtu.be/pqZjo-nN4Lk

Might get away with one trumpet and one cornet, plus a few mouthpieces. On the up-side, because of the limitation on quantity, I can afford quality.:cool:

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My experience has been that the right horn has found me a bunch of times and in a bunch of different places. I never had any luck in Seattle pawnshops, however.

8. RRVancil

RRVancil Piano User

Sep 24, 2009
    Littleton, Colorado
    Ladies and gentlemen, I believe we are about to see the onset of a first generation mutation of the dreaded N +1 disease. We will call this S + 1, where S = slip and/or storage unit. We need to keep our eye on this situation. ;-);-)ROFL

Rick

9. Chuck Rose

Nov 28, 2016
    Petersburg, Alaska
    You're going to force me to be disciplined.

There can be only One!...
    ...OK, two; but no more...
    ...Unless I find a really, really good deal....
    :play:

10. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    Ah! But if you live on a boat, do you not need an emergency signal horn? Maybe even a backup? How much safer is one that can't ever run out of compressed air? That should easily be worth a bump in N! :-)