Shortcuts

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Nov 7, 2012.

1. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    This is not a rant but an honest opinion, I believe that because we are inundated with various devices and statements coming from amateur to semi-pro to pro players who claim that acquiring a certain mouthpiece brand, horn, various embouchure trainers, etc. makes all trumpeters overnight successes that it is acceptable and/or the norm to feel that there are shortcuts to a lifelong pursuit that is music making. Let's get real as nothing that is worth working hard for is ever easy.

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Basically I think we are a gullible lot, not only trumpet players, look at the marketing industry making all kinds of promises to sell their products from cars to cosmetics. A quote I saw once "Tack a high note to it and a trumpet player will buy it".

If a manufacturer wants to stay in business he has to keep making and selling his product and to do this he must convince the consumer that the latest is better than the last and is better than the competition.

Regards, Stuart.

3. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    Bamajazzlady may not have been playing long, but she's right--there are no shortcuts to good playing, just PLENTY of practice. The pros sound like pros because they practice A TON. That's why they make it look so easy, when we all know playing the trumpet isn't easy. Playing any instrument WELL isn't easy, whether it's a trumpet, piano, guitar, sax, or whichever one comes to mind. Besides, various mouthpieces, bore sizes, leadpipes, bell tapers, etc. may make a difference in how a horn feels to play and how it sounds, but none of these things will correct flaws in technique, so the "secret" if you can call it that, to good playing is PRACTICE....

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    There's this 15-20 minute set of exercises which are pretty much guaranteed to turn you into a pro-level trumpet player.

You just have to do them a few times every day for about 10 years.

--bumblebee

5. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    Only 10 years??:lol:

6. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Sure! Trombone Shorty is in his early 20's - worked for him!

--bumblebee

(dang! should have set up a fake website with a paypal button before posting this! oh well....)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Although I agree that there is no shortcut replacing practice there is something to be said for having the right equipment for you. There is little point in playing a sharp edged mouthpiece like the Wick 3C if it hurts your lip and in my case if I use a mouthpiece with too much of a cushion rim my articulation sounds as though I've had far too much bitter. Having said that I still bevlive that once you have the best fit stick with it and don't try to buy success.

8. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    It's a bit like picking running shoes perhaps. Poor shoe choice will slow you down and possibly harm your feet. Adequate shoe choice will allow you to run about as fast as you can. After that the law of diminishing returns kicks in. But no matter how good the shoes, or your dietary choices or sleep patterns your speed/technique improvements will still mainly come from the training you do, and any edges you do get will not put you much further ahead of an equivalent you using adequate shoes but training in the same way.

--bumblebee

9. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I like that analogy Bumble

10. Heelum

Heelum Pianissimo User

Jan 19, 2009
    Sydney Aus.
    It IS a rant.........but oh so true.