Shortening First Valve Slide

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MahlerBrass, Nov 12, 2006.

1. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Howdy all, I've heard of people getting their first valve slides cut on their Bach C trumpets, I was wondering why this was, what the pros are, and maybe some of the drawbacks, thanks!

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    My understanding is that some people choose to get their 1st slide cut so they have a way to push up the 4th line D, which is usually a little low. I'm pretty sure George Coble (former NY Phil, now principal in Syracuse) had this done to his horn. I don't know anybody else though. The only drawback I could see is that for everything else to be in tune you need to pull out on the first slide.

Jimi

3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    I have seen a few people who have had their slide shortened to enable the D to be played on the "proper" fingering.
    An interesting addition is one that Will Spencer has done on his (and a few others') instrument - a push me pull you spring on the first valve which keeps it in the right place for the majority of playing yet can be pushed in slightly for the relevant notes.
    [​IMG]

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I believe the first valve on older Bachs are a little longer than the correct mathematical length. This is a comprimise to compensate when using it in combination with the other valves. If the "A" (1+2) is in tune without pulling the first valve slide a little, it is too long.
    As many Bach C trumpets are not very well in tune, cutting the first slide will in fact help bring the 4th line D up to where it belongs - unfortunately the in tune Bb and F will then be sharp. Be careful!
    The Bach website also has a forum and they recommend a different backbore for the mouthpiece used on the C trumpet to help with intonation. I am surprised that Bach has not been able or willing to solve this problem. Other manufacturers have............

5. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I've never heard that. You mean a different backbore than a B-flat mouthpiece? That's interesting... I understand Monette's theory about different length mouthpieces for different keyed trumpets, but I don't understand how changing the backbore relates to key. Do you have a link you could post?

Jimi

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi Jimi,
    http://www.bachbrass.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=8a53f2cdb588b3ddf891c2132fa5d267
    You will have to dig a little bit, it is not as comfortable as TM!
    I remember something about a size 24 bore or something like that for the C trumpet. Dave Monette is onto something completely different however.
    I think the best description about what can happen in a mouthpiece is here:
    http://iwk.mdw.ac.at/index_e.htm
    click on research and then on mouthpiece forms
    You find out quickly that a mouthpiece can compensate for a lot of trumpet manufacturing sins............

7. MrClean

MrClean Piano User

Oct 22, 2005
    SoCal

That is sweet! I want one!

J

8. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Come over and get one - I am sure Will would be willing to introduce you to the local ale as well:D

(As will I - two reasons to come over here:cool: )

9. MrClean

MrClean Piano User

Oct 22, 2005
    SoCal
    I'll be over there in late June and again in early November.

Jim

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    A much bigger issue is the third slide on Bachs! Ebs are too low, so you can cut it down to the true 23 length, or cut it down a bit more so that high a is in tune with third valve.