Shostakovich Piano concerto

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by timothypierson, Oct 2, 2005.

1. timothypierson

timothypierson Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2005
    I had the pleasure of seeing Lisa Leonard and Marc Reese perform the Shostakovich Piano Concerto. The performance was absolutely wonderful. Marc used a Blackburn Eb trumpet through most of the concerto, with the exception of the second movement solo, where he used a Bach Bb. I got to meet him back stage afterwards. He's a nice guy who's very enthusiastic and knowledgable. I also saw and met Robert Sullivan when he played the Hummel and Quiet City with the same Orchestra last year (Oregon Mozart Players). It's nice to see these great trumpet players come through our town.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    On an Eb? Are you sure? I've never heard it on that horn before.

ML

3. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    What do you do it on Manny? I heard it last season with the SPCO and Gary played it on C except for the 2nd movemnt which he played on Bb. I would play the whole thing on Bb. Find that it lays pretty well.

4. timothypierson

timothypierson Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2005
    Yes it was an Eb, I was surprised too. I talked to him backstage, at intermission and sure enough it was a Blackburn Eb. He really enjoys playing this horn. It had a very large sound and actually worked quite well.

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Bb. I don't think this piece needs the pristeen character that the smaller horns will give it. It's okay for it to be a little "rough". It's not for everyone, I guess.

ML

6. Bryan_sop_trumpet

Bryan_sop_trumpet New Friend

Jan 22, 2004
    Cambridge, UK
    I saw Sergei Nakariakov do it earlier this year. He did it on Bb too. Great performance as well. The pianist excellent too (although I can't remember his name off hand :-?