Should I buy a new mouthpiece for my C trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ccb_22, Jun 24, 2011.

1. ccb_22

ccb_22 Pianissimo User

Jan 12, 2010
    Wilmington
    I'm playing a C trumpet now for the first time and am going through the frustrating "learing to play in tune all over again" phase. I read somewhere that players often use a mouthpiece with a larger throat and backbore for C trumpets than they do with Bb - is this true? I'm not looking for a piece of equipment to substitue for hard work and practice (in fact I would rather not buy a new mouthpiece if I don't have to), but I also don't want to make things any harder on myself because of a poor setup. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    You don't necessarily need to use a different mouthpiece. Hopefully the C trumpet has been designed to be compatible with regular Bb trumpets.

What is your current setup? Instruments? Mouthpiece?

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    No, you should not have to buy a different mouthpiece in order to play your C trumpet. If you have a good C trumpet and are able to listen you will play if in tune. I have been playing Bb & C for many many years successfully and never used a different mouthpiece.

4. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    The answer is maybe and there are a few reasons why the mouthpiece that works so well on the Bb may not work so hot on the C.
    Go here C Trumpet Intonation Problems
    This is GRs explanation of why you may need a different mouthpieces.
    There are no hard set rules, just what works.
    Rich T.

5. ccb_22

ccb_22 Pianissimo User

Jan 12, 2010
    Wilmington
    Very good, thanks. I hadn't felt any reason to make changes, but like I said, if it works better that way, I would look into considering it. Thanks.

6. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    With mine, I seem to have more perceived back pressure on the C than the B-flat using the same piece. was thinking on going to a size or two bigger/deeper in the Marcinkeweitz line to try to reduce the back pressure. Currently on an 8-S Concert Hall piece:dontknow::oops:

7. tptshark

tptshark Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    I use a slightly larger 'piece on C trumpet, but I do this for tonal reasons rather than anything to do with intonation. I think the intonation will come with more time on the instrument. I don't believe it's imperative to have a different 'piece for the C trumpet.

My suggestion would be to warm up on your Bb as usual, then switch over to the C trumpet and complete your technical routine on that, focusing on centering the tone and pitch. Then after your routine maybe try some orchestral excerpts etc switching from Bb to C and back, before finishing your practice session on Bb. I found doing some improvising on the Ctpt also helped a lot. Once you have sorted all the issues associated with playing the unfamiliar instrument (intonation etc), then you could perhaps look into finding a mouthpiece that makes getting the tonal/playing qualities you want from the C tpt easier.

That is what worked for me when I first started on C, hopefully there is something there that will help you.

Cheers,
    AK

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The recommendation for a larger mouthpiece backbore/throat is due to the fact that it makes it easier to bend notes. Less effort is required to get a borderline C-trumpet in tune - at the cost of endurance and security. I guess if you are endorsing a brand of instrument with questionable intonation, then a patch is better than fessin' up.

I disagree with that approach. A bandaid over less than optimal intonation is exactly that, no cure!

It would be better to get a C trumpet that is more in tune and take advantage of a mouthpiece that maintains higher efficiency. There are enough of them out there.

I do not need to learn to play in tune again when I switch. I played 10 or so C trumpets at Giardinellis in the mid 70s before I bought the one that worked best. No alternate fingerings required!

That being said, my modified Bach 229H CL is more resonant (responsive, fun) with a Monette C2D than with a B2D.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I think to play the C trumpet you have to play on it a lot. A while back I switched to C trumpet for all of my legit playing. When I went back to the B-flat, I had trouble with that. You have to work at both. The tuning for both is a little different. If I play one B-flat trumpet and than another B-flat trumpet, the tuning is a little different.

As far as back pressure, I have played a lot of tight C trumpets. The one I use right now is tighter than the B-flat. I think it helps me. I'm a little more secure on the C.

I play on a Monette B-flat and C. They gave me a different mouthpiece for each. They are the same size cup but I think the back bore is different. The length of the C mouthpiece is shorter. I guess the trumpet is shorter so the mouthpiece stays the same in relation to the length of trumpet tubing.

I do believe that a different mouthpiece can make a huge difference, but it also might not. If you are new at it I would just play for a while and get used to it.

10. ccb_22

ccb_22 Pianissimo User

Jan 12, 2010
    Wilmington
    I think at this point, I just need to focus and get more time on the horn. Today is only day 4. There may be a chance for me to play with mouthpieces at a pro shop later on in the summer. At that point, I can probably make a more informed decision about what's working and what isn't. Thanks for the replies, they are very helpful.