Should I buy a new mouthpiece for my C trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ccb_22, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Andrewannabe

Andrewannabe New Friend

Dec 16, 2010
    A C trumpet is not just a shorter version of a Bb horn. As you learn your C's characteristics--intonation and tonal qualities, you MUST develop a sense of what you want that horn to sound like. At that point, a different mouthpiece might make that sound easier to produce. You can't really perform on your C until you can make it produce the tone you want. Ditto for the Eb and especially for both sides of the pic. I'm currently searching out the "new me" on a Schilke P 7-4 after 30 years on an Andre era Selmer. The sound has to happen inside your head before it can come out your horn.

2. ccb_22

ccb_22 Pianissimo User

Jan 12, 2010
    Wilmington
    Yesterday afternoon was the first time things really started to happen. I went all the way back to the first Getchel book and played a large majority of the etudes. The horn really started to come alive after a while and it felt much more like playing the trumpet than trying to tame an unruly beast - or like trying to teach my cat to roll over. I think she's just lazy. Anyway, the sound was much more stable and my intonation was way better. I think I'm going to progress in this way as far as I can and maybe then I'll see if a mouthpiece can take me a little farther or not.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    sound like a good plan ... I am guessing here but I think the different pitch associated with the same fingering has an effect on us.. time on the horn and the synapses get a chance to rewire properly ... like I said it's just a guess