Should I challenge the higher up chairs again?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by litia725, Jan 3, 2012.

1. litia725

litia725 New Friend

Nov 17, 2011
    Florida
    My band, since it a wind ensemble, has only two on a part. If I still had 1st part I would be very happy now. :)

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    litia725, tell us what you are thinking. Do you still want to challenge or wait?

3. litia725

litia725 New Friend

Nov 17, 2011
    Florida
    Thank you for your response! I've realized playing lower parts is very good for tone... After getting lower parts I've been able to play much better than before. I totally agree with the first chair because the one that is there now plays with a very tiny mouthpiece, and gets a very tiny tone!
    I guess my director does have a preference... He has this "never give up philosophy," and a fellow trumpet player that is in my local HS said that the teacher placed her in 3rd chair and made her work for 1st, and she did work(She's now the lead).
    We only have two on a part.

4. litia725

litia725 New Friend

Nov 17, 2011
    Florida
    Hi, I've already talked to my band instructor, and my grandfather(he's a trumpet player too), and I think I'll challenge the other chairs, because after hearing my grandfather telling me he challenged the first chair 50 times before getting it himself, is pretty inspirational.

5. smokin valves

smokin valves Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2011
    When I was at school, there were three main trumpeters that stood out as the best. I am proud and honored to say that I was one of them, and we were competitive, but it was all good natured. We took it in turns to share the top chair, thus avoiding any hard feelings or grievances between us. None of us stood out as the best, but by being responsible and relaxed we were able to work as a team by not always trying to prove to people that we were the best. I say suggest swapping round to the others, and if they refuse challenge them again but be 100% sure to succeed or you could look stupid instead of them. In England it is common place to swap positions regularly, not only giving everyone a chance, but preserving the lip of the person on lead.

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Okay, that is up to you. But do you really want to be the "little girl that thinks she is better than everyone?" Do yourself a favor and dont challenge them, you will just piss off the other players. Dont you think 50 times is a little excessive, with all respect for you and your grandfather, I would be pretty annoyed to be challenged that many times. I personally think that you should wait until the next chair test or next year. But you do what you do, just keep playing and have fun!

7. litia725

litia725 New Friend

Nov 17, 2011
    Florida
    rowuk:
    I understand what you mean. By playing first chair for a year has made me the unofficial leader of the trumpets, because I do all those things listed the above(except make the band my pedestal :-) ). I've always helped and spoke for my section(mainly because the first chair now refuses to), but when I'm for some reason placed in a spot that everyone knows I shouldn't be in, it's my priority to get on top again. Wouldn't you?

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I like that idea, a lot.

9. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    No, you earned that spot and the other players earned theirs.

10. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC

Worrying about your chair can lead to not challenging yourself to get better. It can lead to just comparing yourself to others in your school or county. When you get out of school you will quickly find that there are many players better than you. It can be a shock. It is better to constantly work on improvement while playing for the love of music. If you can do that then chairs will take care of themselves. Challenging is OK, but try not to make that your only goal as a player. Play for the love of playing.

codyb226 likes this.