Should I continue?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by trumpetsplus, Jul 31, 2012.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    As many of you know, I am very willing to post advice on repair and maintenance.

However, recently there was an example of someone taking part (not all) of my advice and messing up his instrument. I do feel very sorry for this, although part of what he described happens sometimes during the course of repair by a competent technician. Surgeons do not offer step by step instruction for routine operations, because they are aware that all sorts of complications can happen.

To be absolutely clear, the member involved has NOT sent me any message of blame or disappointment.

Should I refrain from giving repair advice?

Should I always include a disclaimer?

Or should I let people go ahead by themselves without advice?

I am very interested to hear your comments.

D.C. Al fine likes this.
  2. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Ivan,
    You are a great asset to TM. I know I have PM'ed you for help with my stupid valve guides and going in upside down and whatever. You were a great help.

I would like you to continue with your advice, all of it. From little bits of help to repair help. I think you could put a disclaimer in your signature just to have there and prevent any com back at you for holding you reliable. That way it is there for everyone to read and they know. But I like that you can help people with some repairs, I would like you to continue.

That is just my thoughts on this issue.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The advice you gave was good, in my opinion. In fact, I think your advice is just about always good. I hope you continue to give advice, but a "don't force it" disclaimer might be a good thing to add. A heavy hand (and the wrong tools) will mess up a horn pretty quickly. In the case you're referring to, I'll bet the joint was significantly weakened by the stuck slide removal, anyway.

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    This is a no-brainer.

Keep doing what you're doing.

5. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Keep doing what you are doing Ivan, you offer sage advise. Here is a thought, just imagine what COULD have happened if you never gave advise at all at the individual might have done even more damage to the horn. I think a disclaimer, though I feel it is overkill may be necessary or at least a warning of what COULD happen.

6. LiquidSean

LiquidSean Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2010
    Virginia
    Keep on with what you've been doing. It's been very interesting and inciteful to me.

I think the "disclaimer" should be within the common sense of anyone receiving advice online.

Maybe offer him a discount on a trumpet? :dontknow:

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ivan, your advice is gold. And you are right about the surgery analogy, you don't know what you are into until you get into it. That is impossible to do on line. A disclaimer is always a great idea. I try to do this when I am giving medical advice out on TM.

I mean, Kingtrumpet was a normal person until I started giving him free medical advice... NOW look what happened?

However, TM seems to have tolerated this debacle... So if you stop giving trumpet advice, I'll stop giving medical advice!!!

8. JustinG007

JustinG007 New Friend

May 14, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    Of course you should continue! I always appreciate and respect the comments that you leave on posts. You are trying to help the best you can via a keyboard and a computer screen. People should read your comments and do also read what other people have to say and then take points from both to help ensure success. Please continue posting comments and advice as you are helping many trumpet players.
    Thanks for all of your help!

9. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Yeah, you're fine. The answer to just about any "there's something wrong with my horn" is to take it to a tech first. I can't imagine a competent one who would charge for an estimate or charge a lot for a simple repair. All you're doing is providing education, which one would hope convinces people that certain things truly are beyond them and the tech is a way-better choice.

A certain repair person of my acquaintance mentioned to me that, after completing a training program, a novice tech takes about three years before they're "worth anything." That should be an indication right there that anything more than perhaps putting in new felts or water key corks are beyond most players.

Tom

10. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Always happy to oblige!

bumblebee and nieuwguyski like this.