Should I continue?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by trumpetsplus, Jul 31, 2012.

1. TerryR

TerryR Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2012
    Quakertown PA
    Hey Ivan!!! I think I am the victim...er...I mean person that you are referring to, and I have no resentment nor regrets for following your advice. I am looking at it as a very educational learning experience.

My biggest mistake was buying a trumpet from eBay where the first picture clearly shows the 2nd valve stuck in the down position. As I mentioned in the other thread, I think that trumpet already some serious issues.

PLEASE keep doing things the way that you always have. Don't worry about me...I'm the one that put a gaping gash in my forehead removing a stuck slide. (That was also a learning experience)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
    DaTrump likes this.
  2. TerryR

TerryR Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2012
    Quakertown PA

How did you know that was the way I play my bugle!?!?:shock:

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Ah yes, the famous Enfield Bugle. I think that was the model played by Gunga Din...

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    That's what's known as using your head.

5. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Please keep sharing.

6. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I wasn't going to comment because it seems everyone else is saying it better than I could but after seeing this bugle I had to relate an analogy I used when I was living as a computer consultant.

I had 43 years of developing software and was constantly amazed by the IT departments that would believe all the hype about new software tools and that now they didn't need experienced programmers. They somehow thought that basic rules and past knowledge were no longer necessary, so I would tell them that give a hammer & saw to an experienced carpenter and he can create art, give them to a 5 year old and they would become weapons.

We should all recognize experience and learn from and build on it!

Ray Z
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you don't know where you are going it doesn't matter how you get there.

7. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I would hope that Ivan keeps sharing knowledge and advice as he has.

If anything, your detailed descriptions of how common problems are fixed should be an indicator to
    novices that trumpet repair is a learned profession that should not be attempted by the inept.

8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Or mechanically dysfunctional:lol::roll::oops:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  9. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Now there' a guy who goes around shooting his mouth off.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Don't I know, the correct "proficiency" for an instrumental musician is to have their instruments serviced by a competent technician.