Should I go golden?

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by bigaggietrumpet, Nov 5, 2004.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Ok, so I've made up my mind, I'm getting a Bach 1 1/2 C (actually, I may go the extra distance and get a 1 1/4, but doubtful). Now the question is whether or not I want the silver plated or gold plated. I know this is probably posted elsewhere, but let's just go ahead and talk about it here as well. Would the gold warm up the sound (which is what I'm going for, big, dark, symphonic, warm, etc)? Or would the difference be negligible? Or should I just shut up and pick one?

2. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    Some people seem to think gold plating on a mouthpiece will darken the sound but I don't think so. The gold is actually a little softer on the lips but it is subtle. I'm not sure I could pick out the difference blind. I didn't find much tonal difference at all when using the Yamaha GP series pieces(when compared with identical standard models) and I think the differences I did experience were more related to weight than plating.

To be honest, I think what plating you choose on your mouthpiece is best determined by how well it will match your horn. Get gold for lacquer and silver for silver! :lol:

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    If I'm doing a lot of playing, I have found that gold plating is a little easier on my chops and they don't get rubbed quite as raw.

Gold plating is a little more slippery too so there is a subtle change in your "grip" on the mouthpiece between gold and silver.

All but one of my mouthpieces is either gold plated or has a gold plated rim and cup. I prefer it. Overall, it just seems to be a little easier on the chops. As for how it plays, for me, there is no discernable difference between the silver plating and the gold plating.

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Most people think gold is a little "slicker" and therefore is easier to move around on when adjusting your embouchure. All mouthpieces I try are gold plated, either from the factory or by Gold Chops. It makes no difference in the sound, unless the "slickness" affects you.

If you are an anchor type player (you anchor your lower lip) you may want silver plate. But few are true anchor players.

Jim

5. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I personally feel a difference between a gold and silver mouthpiece. Its not as hard feeling, and always seems to warm up quicker. I also think it is a bit easier on the chops.

Before you buy, let me find that plating company in Nashville. They 32K gold plate (Bach's gold contains much more-copper), and at a cost comparable (If I remember, actually beating) the price of Goldchops!

By the way, you try any B-cup mouthpieces?

Van

6. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Yeah, I think I tried something like a 5B or so, but that was a while back. I really don't have a problem with the C cup, I'm just wanting a larger diameter.

7. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Michael,

Sorry about the lack of response time. That company, they goldplate mouthpieces for $10 each! :shock:

24K, really REALLY soft, but can wear pretty quick. Still, and excellent price.

I'll have the address of the company next Wednesday. Sorry for the wait.

Van