Should I, or not?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 9horn, Oct 23, 2010.

1. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
    Hi guys, I recently began taking private trumpet lessions and am using my vintage Martin Committee, which does not have the thumb saddle. I was told that I would have to get a saddle installed if I was going to use this trumpet. I don't want to harm the original first slide. Other than using a different horn, is there anything I can do, or can the saddle be removed in the future if I wanted to and show no dammage:dontknow:?

2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Who told you to install a thumb saddle? For years pro model horns didn't have thumb saddles. The low D is the most out of tune note for me, so I use the third valve tuning slide to play it in tune. Any other note I can correct with my lip. I have a thumb saddle and have never used it. So I would not ruin a vintage Martin by having a saddle installed.

3. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
    Thanks Al. I won't name names but this is a 25+ year pro. Upon further inspection however I don't think you are even able to add a ring because the slide pulls out at the end and there is no room for it?

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    There are ways to put a saddle/ring on those types of slides, but if you practice and learn which notes have funky tuning, you can compensate for them without a saddle.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    a 25 yr. pro still doesn't mean he/she has all the answers ---

6. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
    Thanks for the info Brekelefuw, how would it be attached and do you think it would do irrpparable harm to the horn?

7. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
    Good point. Still a great deal more than I'll ever know:lol:

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Some players use the thumb saddle because they need to adjust the low E, high A and on some horns middle F. Personally I've had some adjustments to all my horns so that I only have to adjust the low D and C# or any notes I play with 1 & 3 or all 3 down. If you are playing at a high level you might want to adjust the E, A, F. What kind of playing are you planning to do? What is your playing background. Will the teacher refse to work with you if you don't get a saddle? I wouldn't change the Martin

9. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
    Hi Bob, I'm a comeback player just looking to move up to the small gig level. The teacher is great and i don't think any problems would be had, but I would like to follow the instruction to the T. In this case I will use another trumpet without changing the Martin if I have to.

10. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    If you can find it, check out "Improving Intonation" by Gerald Webster (Copyright Best Press, 2006, Hoyt Editions). Quite an interesting read on how we went from just to equal temperament, what was gained and lost in the process and the implications for trumpet players.

Some notes are inherently out of tune with a trumpet. However, depending on their function, they can be even more out of tune, by almost a quarter tone. We all know the usual suspects (C# and D), but 1st line E when used as the 3rd of a major chord/arpeggio needs adjustment too. So does 3rd space C#. Jerry Webster's little book is quite enlightening on this, although it can make trumpet playing more complicated than many want to be responsible for...

It is true that many high level horns of the 40s/50s did not have a 1st slide adjustment. The reason why they made them like that baffles me. There is not one high level contemporary horn without it, and even student horns have them nowadays, that ought to tell us something.