Should I, or not?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 9horn, Oct 23, 2010.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I don't know if I would change the vintage instrument. I don't think so. I use my first slide all the time. I think the older trumpets had a little different tuning. The first was a little longer. If this is true on your trumpet, the saddle wont help. there are other notes that need to adjust.

Tuning is a tricky thing, I wouldn't sweat it until you can hear that certain notes are out and it bugs you enough that you have to make a change. Different trumpet or saddle on this one.

2. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

a saddle could be affixed to the slide by having a bar soldered onto the end of the slide, that would extend towards the valve casing and have the saddle on it. If you are interested in your horn as a "players" horn, then go for it. However, if you are interested in having an original vintage Committee, don't do it.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I wouldn't do modify anything on a vintage horn like that.
    You can play very well without this modification. Think about it, many trumpeters before you did.
    I wouldn't buy a different horn either. The one you got(just the way it is) is just fine.
    If the teacher finds this to be unacceptable, fire him.

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I'd respectfully and graciously tell my private teacher, thanks, but I have decided not to add the saddle. Move on to something else.

If you look at the list of pro horns listed below, only about half have 1st valve saddles. 2 of the Bach Strads do not have them - and most people consider them as typical pro horns.

Stop worrying about the horn. You've got a greart horn (wish I had one). Get on with the playing.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Don't do it. Unless you're using it for ensemble work (there are better horns for that), you aren't going to use it that much if at all. If this person insists, do a blind play test and have them pick out the out of tune notes. Honestly, what the others have said is true. You should be able to lip it with practice. Heck, I can lip low C# and D. Don' t ruin a vintage horn like that (unless it's one of the red ones :lol:).

6. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
    Thanks everyone for all the great feedback. This forum is the best. The majority of you feel the same as I do. I will not modify this horn, and someday when it has moved on to the next player (maybe one of you reading this post), it will still be in original condition.:-)

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    dibs!! First!! Whatever!! :-p