Should I play a flugelhorn ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lionelsax, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    Hi !

I've been trying to play the cornet for more than a year, I've got a cheap instrument with a Bach 6 mouthpiece without letter.
    I love the mellow sound of Chet Baker on his trumpet, this is just an example.
    What would be the best for me ? A decent trumpet with a Bach 5V mouthpiece or a flugelhorn ?
    My cornet doesn't sound really mellow, if you are a little bit deaf, it could sound cool.
    My cornet is an Eagletone.

EAGLETONE - ECT-290L Cornets : eagletone.com

What kind of sound can I get with this ? These are my cornet's characteristics :

The Eagletone ECT-290L cornet is meant for advanced beginners to play at an accessible price. This is undoubtedly the best deal in the entry-level instruments category. Comes in a case. All Eagletone wind instruments are verified by our luthiers.

- Bb
    - Lacquered brass
    - Bore: 11.73 mm
    - Bell: 119 mm

Thanks.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    "Luthier"??? In my neck of the woods, that is a musical string instrument maker/technician. Doesn't do anything for me about a brass instrument quality.

3. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I personally think that the flugelhorn is the best brass instrument of all time. By nature, it has a wonderful sound and they are great to play. If you haven't already, go to your local brass shop and try as many as you can.

Kujo

4. chef8489

chef8489 Piano User

Aug 8, 2011
    Asheville nc
    I played a couple of flugelhorns the other day. wife said it sounded good, but the vibrations in my hands felt kinda weird. I am just not sure it is for me, but it was mellow.

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Wrestle with a trumpet
    Fight with a cornet
    Make love to a Flugel....

Go get one!

6. Zman

Zman Pianissimo User

Dec 24, 2008
    Vancouver, Canada
    If you get good at flugel playing it will do wonders when you go back and forth between that and cornet/trumpet.
    Mind you, you could also consider a flugel cup mouthpiece for a deeper sound. Several mouthpiece makers make these (Curry TF comes to mind)
    A nicely played flugel is hard to beat though and the mpc option Imo is not a replacement for one long term.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    A trumpeter without a flugelhorn, is like a romantic without a lover. Find love. Get a flugelhorn.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Agreed. The Flip Oakes WT Flugelhorn mouthpiece is so deep, it comes with the warning.... "children must be accompanied by an adult when being around this mouthpiece to prevent them from falling in."

9. Randall Nelson

Randall Nelson Mezzo Piano User

Nov 26, 2011
    WA State
    ....uhhh. I guess I get the monk award...no flugel in the quiver yet. Couple of cornets though...:-)

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Go get two.... Torn between two lovers... is breaking all the rules!