Should I play a flugelhorn ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lionelsax, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Nah! I have a good (German) car.

2. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Good!

3. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
    Lionelsax,

I feel like I would need to know more about you before giving equipment advice.

What repertoire do you usually play? I take it you're a jazz guy.

As a beginner, maybe you don't have a group yet. Do you plan on playing with others? It can be a very educational experience for anyone, particularly for a beginner. Is there a community band or similar in your area?

Do you have a teacher/instructor? If not, consider taking just a few lessons to make sure you're not learning bad habits that could hurt your playing as you advance.

For small-group jazz playing, I've seen players make good use of contrast by switching between a trumpet and a flugelhorn. Maybe the same could be achieved with cornet + flugel, but probably less so with cornet + trumpet since the tone is more similar.

If you're aiming to play in a symphonic wind orchestra or marching band, you'd have more use of a trumpet (keep the cornet though, they do show up). In a symphony, it's trumpets all the way, whereas in a brass band it's usually cornets only.

In a big band, you'd be best off with trumpet + flugel, cornet is not an option there either.

4. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    Thanks for your answers, that's very interesting, I didn't know that flugelhorn had such a fame here.
    About my Bach 6 mouthpiece, the problem comes from me, with all the instruments I pretend playing, I make them sound loudly and I don't know why, I can be mellow when I can but rarely in tune, well it can happen sometimes.ROFL That's why I cannot get the sound I would like yet. Before I used to play with a lot of pressure but now I've understood that I have to kiss the mouthpiece instead of rape it.

In French, a flugelhorn is called a "bugle", that makes sense because a flugel is just a bugle with valves on the other hand a bugle in French is called a "clairon".

The word "luthier" (it comes from "luth", the instrument, that means "lute") in French is for the guy who makes violins, cellos, guitars and repairs them, the right word should be for brass and woodwind instruments, piano, organs and others should be "facteur" but the word means "postman" too, so in order not to make a confusion, they call all of them "luthier".

So I will try to play the cornet a little bit more and will try to "manage" it and then I will buy a flugelhorn but not an expensive one, in these days for me, cheap also means expensive for me !

5. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    I play in a group (it's a quartet), I play the tenor and the alto saxes, sometimes the flute. I haven't got any teacher, and yes you're right, I only play jazz. I saw in summer 2012 a friend of mine who is a trumpet and flugelhorn player and he showed me all my bad habits, there were many !!!
    And yes, you're right, in a section cornet is not played.
    You mean that cornet is a "bastard" instrument, not bright enough to be a trumpet and too bright to be a flugelhorn ? That was I think, that's why I chose the cornet at first, to get the characteristics of a trumpet and a flugelhorn, but I was wrong.:dontknow:
    Nevermind it's still an instrument, a brass instrument...
    But well... The flugelhorn is the solution.

That's how I "play" now.
    http://youtu.be/zEHkkiwYxS4

6. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Yes and no. If we're talking about real cornets here (as in BBB) then the cornet is an instrument it its own right. The standard sound if different from a trumpet or a flugelhorn. I use the term 'standard' sound here because obviously different trumpets, players and mouthpieces will produce a range of different sounds. If we are talking American long cornets, they are basically just short trumpets.

Maybe. Maybe not. It depends on how you play it. This guy might just as well be playing a trumpet:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1uWsHH2X18
    Then there's the issue of playability - you need a nice deep mouthpiece for the mellow sound, but it means more effort on the other end to get the range. Worth it though. Yet more confusion - do you want a traditional flugel sound or the lighter more jazz variety? Get one though - you'll love it! I doubt you'll find anyone on here who doesn't love his or her flugel!

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Brasseur? ;-)

8. Voltrane

Voltrane Pianissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Paris
    Seth, exactly.
    And more accurately "Brasseurs de vent".
    We have a lot of them here!:lol:

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Uh . . . I beg to differ.
    ("Real" cornets?)

No, it's with wings. ;-)

10. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Having listened to some of your youtube samples, I'd say that right now you sound like a beginner on the cornet. Which is completely understandable, because with only a year under your belt you are still a beginner. Buying a flugelhorn will not magically give you the results you seek -- you'll sound like a beginner on the flugelhorn.

The fact is, it takes years to develop facility and a mature sound on any high brass instrument. Don't throw money at other instruments... yet. Keep playing your cornet, studying with your teacher (you do have one, right?), and practicing. Results will come with time and hard work.

And none of us can tell you what the potential sound quality of you cornet is from a list of specifications. But unless it's a truly bad instrument, I'm sure it can be played with a mellow sound.