Should I play a second brass instrument?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ml91895, Dec 19, 2009.

Tags:
  1. ml91895

ml91895 New Friend

Dec 19, 2009
    Would it be a bad idea if I played a second instrument while still playing trumpet? I'm thinking of playing either french horn or baritone. I've heard that playing other brass instruments can affect your embouchure. I really want to play a second instrument, but I'm afraid that I might ruin my trumpet embouchure.

2. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    Well from what I understand it doesn't do a thing if you already have a stable practice routine one your main instrument(trumpet). Every player performs differently but as long as you still treat trumpet as your main instrument I wouldn't worry too much unless you notice something totally going wrong then I would talk to an experienced player.

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    There are other threads on this site that discuss this issue. As with everything trumpet-related it is a personal issue and there are many opinions about this. There are many who have successfully played multiple instruments and others who have found it to be detrimental. I played baritone for awhile and have fiddled around with the trombone (never played seriously) and have found that as long as I keep my trumpet practice regimen going, I can switch with minimal difficulty. So, it is just something that you will need to experiment with and see how it goes. But, in reality, there is no inherent influence that will definitely have a negative effect on your embouchure other than your own technique.

4. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    To keep it up you need to add practice time with the new instrument, not subract from your trumpet practice. As for how it effect your chops, everyone is different. In high school, I played bass trombone in the second jazz band and lead trumpet in the first band with no problems. Now, trombone makes my chops swell, so I don't play it.

5. gasp1974

gasp1974 Piano User

Jan 27, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Back in the glory days I played lead trumpet in a big band and baritone/euphonium in the orchestra. For ME that was a great combination. In school I started on the alto horn for 4 yrs, then moving on to the trumpet ever since, but lack of people to play in the school band, I was set to also play the tuba when needed. So for many yrs I was used to play Eb/Bb-tuba, euphonium in addition to my trumpet.

I found the combination to be great for my chops, developing bigger and better muscles around my face. A couple of friends of mine excperienced the same way, but a few others didn`t. Some other friends of mine, playing the tuba or the euph/bar, didn`t have that same success as trumpet -> euph/tuba. I think we trumpeters have a"consentrated embouchure" to our advantage playing larger mp in opposite for the others where their embouchure would be to massive for the trumpet mp.
    IMO.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    That is like asking us if you should wake up at 7 in the morning for a gig at 10.

Every person on this planet is different. Every one of us has a different skill set. Learning another instrument requires the time to practice it and get good. That is ADDITIONAL time. Some of us have enough trouble with our chops as it is.

My personal feeling is, if you have to ask the question, then no, I don't recommend it. Do-ers jump in with both feet and are not dependent on advice from people that they don't even know. In junior high and high school I played cornet, trumpet, horn, baritone horn, baritone sax, sousaphone, recorder and percussion. I never asked anybody. Inside of 10 minutes I knew if the other instruments were messing up my trumpet/cornet playing

7. mattc

mattc Pianissimo User

Dec 12, 2009
    California
    I started doubling almost immediately after starting trumpet.

First I picked up French horn. No problem for the chops. I had a problem with keeping F and Bb in my mind for a time, depending on which I played first in the day.

I tried trombone for a short time. For me it wasn't a good match, so I dropped it quickly.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    get something fun. I thought a clarinet would take less air than the trumpet (I'm 45). but it seemed to take just as much. The clarinet sits in a closet, it just wasn't as fun as I thought it should be. perhaps another day, another mindset, and I will try again.

9. supposeda3

supposeda3 Piano User

Jan 3, 2009
    Central PA
    Hmmm, isnt the point of the trumpet forum to ask advise from others players?

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Although I have played them ALL from Piccolo trumpet to Sousaphone, my only thought about others doing so would be that it is easier going to the larger mpc than it is to a smaller one. I was doing so before my dental and health issues and producing CDs where I played ALL parts as my own quintet. I went down to the larger mpcs and I've not had any problem with any except one and that was just a comfort issue not a playing issue.