Should I Relacquer my Horn?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by datrieuth, Dec 20, 2011.

1. datrieuth

datrieuth New Friend

Nov 28, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    So I have had my trumpet for 2 years now. It's a black Nickel plated Cannonball.... 725 (i think). I bought it used, the previous owner played it for about a year then left it in his closet for I think another year. something like that before I took it, so it is fairly new. What I am starting to notice though is that the lacquer is starting to wear off noticeably around where I hold it. inside the ring, on the valve holder thing. I also noticed that it plays sharp, I have to pull out an at least an inch for it to play in tune. I have a strong reason to believe that the paint job is causing the tuning problem, since my friend did talk to the owner of cannonball about it, and he said that that might be the issue. And I was considering getting my horn relacquered because of these two problems. I know that a lot of older horns get this... but should I? Im probably gonna get a standard lacquer finish on it or just strip the lacquer and leave it raw.

-Kevin
    P.S. I am NOT considering getting a new horn. I like my horn!:D

2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I don't think that's the tuning issue. Pulling out an inch isn't that big of a deal.

However, onto the issue at hand!
    If you really dislike how the lacquer is looking, I'd just strip it and leave it raw. If it's just in the hand area, you can prevent the lacquer from wearing in various ways, and I'd try that first. Personally I like the look of raw brass, you just have to know how to maintain it properly. I've heard that a lot of horns sometimes sound even better raw. You may want to strip it, see if you like the sound better, and if not, have it relacquered. Just an option. Note that overall though, sound is the main focus!

Best of luck :lol:

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I would do just about everything that Mark said, except I would plate it. The plate would hold up better if you dont like raw brass. Plate is silver or gold. Lacquer wears super fast compared to them. But really, strip it and see how you like it.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Kevin,
    intonation is based on the length of the horn, the flare of the bell and leadpipe and the tension in the players body (not just the lips). I would say that there is about 100% chance that the sharp IS YOU and 0% that it is the lacquer. Your friend did not talk to the owner of Cannonball, that is PURE BS as it would mean that they have no quality control. No owner ever would admit to that.

If it is truely black nickel, then no amount of stripping will change the color - the NICKEL (metal) alloy is black. If you paint the horn, then you have another color. My bets are that everything gets worse, because you wake up and see that YOU have issues to be solved.

Pulling out an inch is not unusual for players with body use issues.

5. BrassEye

BrassEye Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2011
    It could be anything from a poor mouthpiece match (whether a poor match to you or a poor match to the horn in terms of gap) to playing with so much tension you're playing high on the pitch. The chances of it being anything to do with the finish are slim to none. If I was a betting man I would go for it being too much tension on your part, although I do have one mouthpiece that causes a similar issue for me. However, that is a very shallow piece with a tight backbore.

6. datrieuth

datrieuth New Friend

Nov 28, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    I honestly dont believe the mouthpiece is the problem because I tested this. I play on a dennis wick 4c (which does not have the usual bowl design) and I played on the standard issued mouthpiece which does have a bowl shape and in both instances the horn played sharp. But I am curious to know how could it be me? like what are possible things I am doing wrong to cause it to play sharp Rowuk?

7. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Im not Rowuk, but I think I know. You could be pinching when you play your notes. Or you could not use enough air or your body may be in a weird posistion. There are many things, and pulling out 1 inch is not very far.

8. datrieuth

datrieuth New Friend

Nov 28, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    yeah I know pulling out an inch is not much, but it's the combo of the two that makes me want to relacquer my horn. did I mention that after everytime I play, I have to wash my hands because the lacquer starts to stick to my hands?

9. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Sounds like you're not going to be satisfied until you relacquer it. You are probably looking for us to agree. Ok, I'll start.......Relacquer your trumpet. Next ?

10. datrieuth

datrieuth New Friend

Nov 28, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    No no no! At the end of the day, I'd honestly really like your honest opinion. The reason I might seem like "coming up with excuses to get you to agree with me" is because I REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHATS WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!! I am going to talk to my old teachers tomm and seeing about possible issues with the way I play.