Should I Relacquer my Horn?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by datrieuth, Dec 20, 2011.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Want to ask a side question. I know lacquer of older horns wears super fast- i.e., all of my Olds horns, however, I thought the new lacquers (epoxy based?) hold up much better. Can anyone compare the new lacquers to silver? Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If this thing is black nickel (which is plated), why put plate on top of plate? Are you even sure that it will "stick"?

3. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Steve -I had a horn stripped and re-laquered by Tom Green recently and he told me the new laquer is very tough. I had asked about using a hand guard and he said it wasn't needed and I didn't need to worry about how I cleaned my horn.

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    If the finish is coming off on your hands then something is wrong. The "Lacquer" finishes of today are very tough. Not really Lacquer but a baked on Acrylic finish. So something is wrong about the finish. If it is a black nickel finish it wouldn't have a lacquer finish. Sounds like a home done spray can job that is coming off on your hands.

Do you play sharp on other horns? that's the first question that needs to be asked. Sounds like you don't play sharp on other horns because you noticed it on this one. My slide pull is the same no all my horns. Regardless of key or type. I would take the horn to a good repair tech. Also have a good player play the horn to chack it out.

Then go from there.

5. BrassEye

BrassEye Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2011
    Well, if the problem is being worsened by an overly shallow mouthpiece, then that is an obvious problem. In the OP's case, the mouthpiece in question is not an overly shallow one, therefore it is a moot point.

6. datrieuth

datrieuth New Friend

Nov 28, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    As a matter of fact I tried my student horn with the same mouthpiece a while ago... in tune! So it's NOT ME! it's the horn. Im having a repair guy from Quinlan and fabish look at it now... He can provide a more hands on diagnosis (think that's the word Im looking for) of the problem! And like I said before I appreciate all of your input... It's in better more capable hands now! :D!

7. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    After you strip it to raw brass genius. Mark said strip it, then I said do what Mark said and maybe plate over the raw brass. I know it wont stick, just look at what I quoted and said.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Cody, I am not a genius, but how would one strip nickel plate? You do not "strip" plate.

9. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    You knew what I meant, you remove the black plate to make the horn raw brass. Then you send it off to get silver/gold plated. That is if the OP wants to.

10. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Different horns will play differently... you can't expect to pull out the same on all horns, because that just doesn't make sense. The blows are different, the mouthpiece match is different..things change. Don't blame the instrument if you THINK it's "out of tune".

I don't know, but I feel like the OP is making a big deal out of pulling out the tuning slide a bit. Just play the thing.