Should I Relacquer my Horn?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by datrieuth, Dec 20, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Cody,
    HOW do you get the nickel off? With a grinding machine? I don't know of anyone doing this. I want you to THINK before you blog nonsense. Removing the nickel is not really an option.

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    "Gold plating is a method of depositing a thin layer of gold on the surface of glass or metal, most often copper or silver.

Gold plating is often used in electronics, to provide a corrosion-resistant electrically conductive layer on copper, typically in electrical connectors and printed circuit boards. With direct gold-on-copper plating, the copper atoms have the tendency to diffuse through the gold layer, causing tarnishing of its surface and formation of an oxide/sulfide layer. A layer of a suitable barrier metal, usually nickel, has therefore to be deposited on the copper substrate, forming a copper-nickel-gold sandwich.

Metals and glass may also be coated with gold for ornamental purposes, using a number of different processes usually referred to as gilding." Ref Wikipedia

So you may find that the nickel you have will serve nicely as the substrate for your layer of gold - don't try to take stuff off unless you know what needs to go back on to achieve your purpose - examine the process, focus on the outcome, get expert advice - too easy really.

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    '

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    NO