Should I restore it?

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by bigaggietrumpet, Aug 31, 2004.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Ok, after Tom's thread about "The Olds that got away", I started thinking about my Olds Ambassador cornet. It was actually a fairly solid horn, with a pretty sweet tone when I did my part. However, it has a HUGE dent as the leadpipe bends into the tuning slide portion, many other dents, I'm pretty sure the bell bow isn't bent to the correct angle, the original brass lacquer finsish is all but gone, and what appears to be redrot has set in. Even with all this, the valves still feel very good, and it plays remarkably well (last time it was played was probably around a year or two ago). However, there may be a chance of using it in our concert band, or maybe the orchestra if I could work it (plus I'm still entertaining the idea of starting a Dixie band down here).

As for age, well, nobody really knows. It came into the family when my grandmother was trying to get my uncle to play music (they didn't find out that he was tone deaf for quite some time). Tryed piano, that didn't work. So she decided to try the trumpet, and this cornet was purchased. My uncle, I believe, was around 10 at this time, which I think is around 1955. I also believe the horn was used when they purchased it. I can get the serial if someone felt like checking or telling me how. Anyway, after that, the horn was passed to my dad, then me, and then my little brother. So it's also a family heirloom. I do recall that it is a Fullerton horn, so that really throws the year calcs off. I dunno, I'll ask on that one later.

Ok, so with the boring details and the melodramatic story outta the way, should I restore this horn to as original condition? Or is an Ambassador just not worth it?

2. pangaea

pangaea Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    It depends on what you want it for. The Ambassador cornets play great, and sound wonderful. The valves are unbeatable. BUT...you can buy another one--say early to mid-50s, in basically perfect shape except for lacquer--almost any week on Ebay for under $100! it's almost criminal. So unless there's a lot of sentimental value and you can pay $300 or so for restoration (dents, dings, and lacquer)...just get another.

3. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Ditto on what Pangea said. Restoration costs will be $300 to $400 for the dent removal and replating. Valves, another $450. You would be up to almost $900 easy and the Ambassador just isn't that valuable of a horn.

Now, if you could find an old Selmer Balanced Action, Olds Super Recording, Selmer K Modified, Conn Constellation--to name just a few of the great old pro horns, you could justify the cost....

Bill

4. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Alright, so let's change the scenario. No replating, just pulling that major dent outta the leadpipe. How much would that one run?

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    $10? $15? Depends if they have to unsolder anything to get at the dent or not.

6. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
  7. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Ok, the serial is 62046, which doesn't even show up on that site. Anyone else know of a directory?

8. pangaea

pangaea Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Are you certain it's a fullerton? if that's the accurate serial #, it's an LA...probably 1948. If it's definitely a Fullerton, perhaps you left a digit off the serial number (i.e., 600,xxx not 60,xxx)...

Does it have an adjustable third slide ring? pinky hook or ring? are the valve tops real mother of pearl or plastic?

Bill, let me know when you find that Super Recording...

Scott

9. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I'm almost positive that it's a Fullerton, and we went over the serial several times, but I'll have my folks check again. Could it be one of the first Fullerton's?

10. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Scott,
    I've seen several Super Recordings come through E-Bay. I just can't grab one right now as the wife is still miffed at how much it cost to get the Constellation restored. So, once the heat dies down....... :lol: