Should I retire my old '67 Holton Collegiate?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ButchA, Sep 22, 2013.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Absolutely second the ballads suggestion. Play lots of Melodies.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Many hymns are as good as ballads I find, but I like ballads too.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Agreed.

With younger students, the technical side of playing is emphasized, simptly to build the chops needed to play the notes. Musicianship is taught with melodic tunes, mainly by rote, to instill how to phrase and how to tell which notes are important in a melody. I've noticed that beginners operate with a kind of binary attitude--playing the right note is all that counts and note connection is a truly novel concept.

For an adult I would emphasize playing tunes over technique. An adult had much more listening experience and they try to get what they hear in their head out the bell. This sort of player awareness is awesome. A dream lesson would be when a student plays reasonably well and then comments, "I don't like the way the notes start."

So yeah, play tunes, and keep in mind that an old trumpet knows the old tunes.

Have fun!

4. arielredhunter

arielredhunter Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2014
    Akwesasne, New York
    As apparantly the Holton fan on here, I must say that you've already got the all around tough horn. If you think it looks shabby, have it professionally cleaned and re-lacquered.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hopefully Butch will return. Been over a month. Butch, what part of RVA you from. I'm close and could swing buy and take a look at it for you.