Should I stop playing trumpet after high school?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vstern, Nov 12, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I have a difficult time getting the proper angle for chest compressions on myself -- I don't have the leverage, it seems to give myself CPR!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I was concentrating on vital lessons in surfing, CPR and lifesaving techniques from my surfing instructor --- and YES, she was beautiful, she spoke perfect Aussie, and she took my breath away, and was able to instill concentration such that I never noticed much else on the beach --- so if there were snakes or spiders at the beach ---- I obviously was not looking at them!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and YET - if you passed out, had a heart attack, or some other ailment in which you needed CPR to save your life --- and I was present -- I would save your life --- and just think, you would even appreciate that!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

of course -- I ain't leaving you with a 20 dollar bill!!!! I will save your life for free!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    AMEN AMEN and AMEN :-):-):-)

Ray Z :play::play::play:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you don't know where you are going it doesn't matter how you get there.

5. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    I know this is an old thread but I feel so strongly about it I have to chime in.

In 1975, I started my senior year of high school. I was in several different orchestras and rehearsed three or four nights a week with various and sundry student groups, and on Saturdays I played in a priveleged group of upper-crust students and symphony musicians. I won't say I would have been a shoe-in or anything even close, but I knew about half of the musicians in the symphony at the time and it was pretty much expected that I would audition someday.

As a bassoon player, I was a very busy person. I used to have my own school bus (so to speak) that would drive me to other HS that did not have a bassoon player so I could rehearse and play in their concerts. I took bassoon, conducting and music theory for three years at Peabody in Baltimore.

Then in January of 1976, there was a meeting, and I remember the following phrases coming from the face of our guidance counselor directly into the ears of my parents:

"It's a waste of his brain"
    "He'll be so poor he'll have to teach"
    "There's no future in it"
    "You need to get serious"

So plans were changed and off tyo college I went to get a BSEE.

Now, 30 years later there is not a day goes by I don't get a faraway look and think "I could be rehearsing right now" because a bad day in the bassoon section is better than a good day at work.

Now, at 54 I'm not in a position to do it. I'd be dead before I got good enough again (if I even could) so now I'm a comeback player who switched instruments to something more common.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    What is the credibility of those that wrote what you are now relying on? Hogwash IMO!

7. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    I think it's apples and oranges...

In my youth it was all about playing the right notes.
    In my adulthood, it's about playing the notes right.

Never in HS would I (or did I) have the tenacity to sit and play long tones, paying attention to how the note starts and ends. Now, I get joy out of it every time I play, which is a lot more often now than it was then (an hour a day, between 7 and 8).

As a young guy playing guitar, I learned the intro to Stairway to Heaven without concern about chords and song structure. Now; I am a sought-after guitarist because I know so many songs all the way through.

I never wanted to consider 'coming back' until I realized that with Pro Tools I can write all my backing tracks and play whatever I want. That option wasn't available in my youth.

As an aspiring young farting bedpost I was concerned with starting a career in music. I was driven by my future; now I am driven by my past enjoyment of wind instruments.

All the stuff that I thought was important then isn't now; all the stuff I blew off then is what drives me now. Kind of like when your parents said 'save your money' right?

8. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Get a real job and later start up your playing on the side to keep your sanity.

9. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    Remember, you are asking this question on a trumpet forum. Of course the answer is going to be yes:play:.

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    The OP, rather than quit trumpet, has quit the thread. Yet we continue unabated. If you look closely you may see him sneaking up on your chair...