Should I stop playing trumpet after high school?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vstern, Nov 12, 2011.

1. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    makes a good point though. I played through high school and when I finished at 16 I just gave their instrument back and never gave it another thought. 30 years later I had a flash of inspiration and took it up again with a much more rounded view on music and a greater appreciation of those who played well and a desire to get myself to a good level. It is easier learning in later years than as a kid IMO.

2. jake g

jake g Pianissimo User

Nov 12, 2009
    Do the doctor dentist thing and put the money in your pocket.
    Keep playing the trumpet for fun and enjoyment, that also means doing trumpet gigs.
    Wen you get old like me you can spend more time with the trumpet and less time playing doctor.

3. JZSYami

JZSYami New Friend

Sep 18, 2012
    Northern California
    Don't give up on your trumpet. If the college/university has an ensamble for all majors who've had experience in high school band and want to play, then by all means, GO FOR IT!!!

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    quitting and COMING BACK is much harder (I reckon) than if you continued to play at some level without taking major breaks in time from playing

5. JZSYami

JZSYami New Friend

Sep 18, 2012
    Northern California
    I wouldn't say it's harder per se, it's one of those things that does come back to you once you've restarted after a long break.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    oh, it comes back --- but I think the cost in time, and re-strengthening the chops if something that is difficult for a lot of the "older" crowd ---- we don't bounce back so easily after 40 or so!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. Josh_W

Josh_W New Friend

Sep 14, 2012
    Tennesse
    I've got an AS degree in entrepreneurship, jazz, and philosophy. Then I landed a very good paying insurance job. Maybe it's just my liberal spirited youth attitude, but, while writing up a presentation one afternoon, I decided to quit (obviously, this wasn't a spontaneous decision. I had been contemplating it for some time; I figure, when lunch becomes the highlight of the workday, it's time to move on to pursue other things!). Now I'm going back to get a BS in Jazz.

What I'm saying is, once you get into school you may very well hate your major. I started as a finance major, changed it to accounting, then went thru a humanities kick. Music was always tugging at me and it stayed a minor (and double major, too). I had already decided that I didn't want to make music a career, but instead keep it as a competitive hobby. It took me about six years to break that preconceived notion. Eventually, you'll make your mind up. Set goals, but be flexible with those goals.

Aside from that, I've played in many'a community bands, both jazz and symphonic, that had top members with a variety of professions.

But do what you want, man.

8. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    I was in a similar position and was given this advice by my band director. Do music first. If it doesn't work out you can always change majors and head toward dentistry or the medical field. If you try those areas first and become disillusioned, you will be "that much further behind the eight ball".

Also, check out the research that demonstrates the number of doctors (read, "anyone in the medical field") that were music majors. Probably, the greatest percentage followed by biology.

Makes you think a little.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I served on a medical school admission committee for over a decade. I could count the number of music majors that came through with both hands and still have a few fingers down. Zoology majors... wish I had a nickle for each Zoo major.

By the way, my pre-med advisor recommended I go into oceanography... because all my grades were below C-level.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

Oh, I misunderstood you on a post about Philosophy -- I was sure your advisor suggested something along the philosophical route of study (since you were below the A level of grades) -- to just B!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL