Should I stop playing trumpet after high school?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vstern, Nov 12, 2011.

1. entrancing1

entrancing1 Mezzo Piano User

Feb 16, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    We have 4 medical doctors and a med student in our band. Both can be done.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    What I've done with my life, I wouldn't say was always a matter of choice, but moreso of circumstances. Out of high school
    I worked two other jobs regularly and played quite often with a combo Friday and Saturday nights. Then I got the clue that my number was coming up for the draft and I chose to enlist in USAF rather than be inducted into one of the other servics. During such I made a big mistake to marry my first wife, which among other issues that led to subsequent divorce, she caused my 2 trumpets to become "lost" while I was deployed overseas. By an involved circumstance, I was commissioned, but when the divorce was finalized I resigned that commission and pleaded the Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act viz she was entitled to nothing thereafter. Coming home, I enrolled in college finding that I couldn't immediately get all the classes I wanted, chose an alternative class in instrumental music, renting a Getzen trumpet. It was very difficult to resume playing and many a night I was in the gymnasium practicing to rise above my prior high school level capability as required by my college class. In the last semester as a Junior, I made another mistake and married a second time having become flush with money at the time. The money didn't last long nor did that marriage. The job I found available was as a LEO in CA where I was chosen to become a Narc, and 3 years later then with a college degree invited to go with the Treasury, then BNDD. It was in this transition that I was employed for the Christmas season and met my third wife to whom I have now been married 44 years. When BNDD was re-organized and transferred to Justice as DEA, I stayed with Treasury with reassignment to ATF, now ATFE and retired. Then I accepted a position with the Federal Protection Service as was then civil service and now under DHLS. There disaster occurred and I was disabled in a 2 1/2 story fall. It is only then I made my comeback playing first a Conn Director cornet given me, and subsequently acquiring, trumpets, trombone, euphonium, and tuba. I've prior told on TM the dental and health issues that abruptly stopped my playing again, but I'm now again near where I had been, if not beyond in my playing except I've decided I have no further need for the tuba and sold it, and now am about to say goodbye to my trombone. Still, I've now little desire to pursue gigging for the dollar, not to say I wouldn't occasionally ... but only to play for my own relaxation.

tedh1951 likes this.
  3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Great advice! Just what the doctor ordered! ;-)

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    As in love so be it with the trumpet, so sounds to me Ed that the third time is the lucky charm! So to the OP, keep trying, and try, try again, and hopefully luck will find you soon as it did for our friend Ed Lee.

5. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    That right there tells me, pick something else to do with your life, something where the word "indifference" is not in your vocabulary. Real professional musicians and doctors alike do not compromise themselves, their studies or their skills. Indifference is a lack of drive. Both groups are highly driven. If you go to sleep thinking music, if you wake thinking music... then you should be a professional musican. If you go to sleep thinking medicine or wake thinking medicine, then that is what you should do. If you don't do either, find out what you do think about that much.

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Well, at least through it all, you seem to have kept your eye-sight well intact. That's excellent!
    Now, for those of us who need a little help, how about avoiding run-on paragraphs and breaking them up, instead? That would help get your points across much easier. Thanks.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Your point is well taken and I will attempt to comply in the future. Still otherwise, I would believe that it is a necessity that musicians, be they vocal or instrumental, maintain their eyesight to the optimum with appropriate corrective lenses and health regimen. I now wear multi focus eyeglasses, my Rx just recently updated and reviewed by Optomologist annually due to my diabetes and age.

I have acquired, and still maintain, the ability to sight read music, including transposition from C instrument to Bb instrument. Still not always the sources of music I've played have been visually ideal as I'm sure others have encountered also.

As a conductor with the full instrumental score of music on your podium stand, I'm sure you at times wished for better copy also. Been there and done that too, but mostly choral.

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    If you are even remotely considering making music your first choice, make sure that you are really - really - really good!! Since you apparently do not have the consuming passion (what is referred to as "The LUV") for trumpet, pure talent is the only thing that will take you there. Arrange to play in front of someone who is very good and who is very blunt so they can tell you sooner rather than later if you have that pure talent. You will need to be way above anyone else around you.

Otherwise, become a doctor. Oh, and you had better be very good at that, too. Only the very top students make it into (and out of) medical school. So, get an honest opinion about that as well. If you are not at the top of both fields...well, there is always Burger King.

9. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I will be a bit more hard-lined here. There are thousands of passionate, highly qualified, and skilled musicians in this country alone who cannot find a job. Many symphony orchestras are in dire trouble with their world-class musicians having to take pay cuts for the orchestra to stay in business, DJ's have taken over weddings, there are few big bands around, and even film and TV musicians in Hollywood are scuffling a bit lately. What makes you think you will succeed if you don't even have the necessary passion for it?
    Without a consuming desire, no amount of talent will get you anywhere in the music industry. Someone with less talent but has the desire and commitment will win out over you. It takes hard work and absolute dedication to get anywhere and that is if you have some luck on your side, too.
    There is a philosophy among many people in many professions, but it seems to be doubly true in sports and music. The harder you work, it seems the luckier you get.
    Find something you love to do in life and you will be a very happy human.
    Rich T.

Addendum.
    The great Arnold Jacobs did have to leave his position because of eyesight issues, not because he couldn't play well enough. Ability was no issue. No matter how large they could make the copy, he had trouble reading it.
    A good friend of mine was Mr. Jacob's wheels for the last few years of his life, shuffling him between his studio and home.

10. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    A one word answer...yes!