Should I stop playing trumpet after high school?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vstern, Nov 12, 2011.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Thanks you Kind Sir, for your jovial reply. Keeping up the pace of deteriorating eyesight with optimal corrective lenses and declining income is a challenge not always well met. ;-)

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Your response is an understatement if relating to my eyesight and printed music, the latter of which some I have is now over 100 years old and due to not having been printed on acid free archival paper stock is turning brown and becoming brittle. Too, I'm not to say that some coloration of this music was not from tobacco smoke either by prior owner or in the venues where played.

For my usage, a few of these vintage songs I have had photo enhanced in contrast and printed on acid free photo paper and the originals placed in archival acid free storage containers. As an example, is the full orchestral score of Julius Fucik's Entry of The Gladiators aka Grande Marche Chromatique, a particular favorite of mine.

My annual eye exams are now fully paid by Medicare and supplemental insurance, as is 80% of the cost of lenses. This is the 3rd time I've used the same frame.

Were it not for an abrupt monetary downturn of monies in my wallet and accounts, I would not be living now where I am ... well possibly in the same town or nearby, but in finer digs.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    For some it has been, and others not. I wouldn't say musically I had much of a problem as much as it was physical. Just listening to the music of others in the lapse I believe made the difference in my case.

4. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    You need to join a forum that caters to medical professionals. Pose the same question to them. Of course die hard musicians/trumpet players are going to have their answers biased a bit. So ask the other pros in the business to get a fair and balanced response.

Ask yourself this...do you want a secure financial future? Do you want to be able to have complete control of your life? I have friends that are pro musicians. They manage to survive, but financial independence is not in the picture, at least not now. And most of them sit by the phone waiting for the call for the next gig. Two weeks down the road is an eternity as they typically are not booked. I asked a saxophone player in the Count Basie Orchestra about his life...he replied it takes a strong stomach to be a freelance musician.

I had aspirations at an early age of pursuing music as a career choice. While in college, I had a change in direction and pursued another career field. There are no regrets and the financial security aspect in the decision is always the top priority.

You will make the right decision. Best of luck to you!

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    As a medical professional, I know of no such forum. That is why I spend all my time hanging out here on TM. Besides hanging around doctors is BOARING!

Any other physicians here on TM discuss medical topics in a forum? Perhaps logging onto AMA eNews my be a way to pose a general question such as this.

6. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    There are forums for every vocation in the universe including, but not limited to, flying airplanes, building pools, brewing beer, electronics, house construction, etc., etc. And yes, there is one for medical personnel.
    Look at The Student Doctor Network. I just found this one after a 5 second Google search! Bet there are other forums as well.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The Student Doctor Network is not the same thing as a physician forum as you first noted. Student Doctors have to first complete medical school and at least one year of residency before they can practice independently as a physician. And that'll knock some sense into their responses.

8. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Is the OP a professional doctor? Or is he a student? Where better to inquire than a forum dedicated to students? And there are additional physician forums on the net. Found another one...AMEDNews.com, a forum for practicing doctors.
    As previously stated, it seems the vocational matter for forums is unlimited.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Much of "aspirations" seems in reality to be no more than fantasy. When I first bought a pre-owned trumpet to enroll in instrumental music classes, no doubt I had such aspiration to become a professional musician but I now don't remember such time as such ... then my foresight was just on getting into high school band.

In these days and times, I wouldn't say becoming a music educator, even other fields of education, offers the financial security in life one desires. It wasn't much, but starting LEO then paid more than starting as a teacher and didn't then require the prerequisite educational criteria, albeit there is some increased health and life risk as LEO (my actual experience). Many a college graduating educator now is employed as clerks in such as WalMart at minimum wage and then only on a part time basis so that the company can elude paying mandated benefits. Positions in schools now are few and far between primarily available only upon vacancy due to retirement of prior teacher.

While becoming a medical doctor now appears optimum, just getting into med school is a challenge requiring the prerequiste of excellent academic achievement in lower education and then having or acquiring the very high financial means to attend such. Thus assuming one does graduate med school and completes residency there is a continuing requirement of further education to be updated on drugs and newer medical methods plus the costs of astronomical malpractice insurance and the high expense of personal medical instruments, let alone those of a private practice. No, it isn't a "gravy ride" through life either.

Yeah, I also had aspirations of becoming a mortician and then advancing either to become a forensic pathologist or funeral director. In the latter of such, few complain and respect is high as they are the last to let you down ... and there is and always will be more business. Need I say the local funeral director in Jackson NC is also an accomplished professional musician, a pianist and vocalist of excellent performance quality IMO.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Because he is asking the opinion as to an end career goal. Take my word for it as a phyiscian, medical students have NO IDEA what it is like to be a physician and therefore would not be the best individuals to seek out to get professional advice.

Would you ask a middle school jazz band member, what it is like playing in the "Tonight Show" band? I think not!