Should I stop playing trumpet after high school?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vstern, Nov 12, 2011.

1. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    You can do both. I'm a physician and a comeback player after a 20 year hiatus from playing. I started from scratch again with a good teacher and had a lot of fun doing it. It was a great diversion from the stresses of practice and gives me something to do a form of relaxation, and I believe helps keep my mind sharp. Much better than TV. And I have the pleasure of making music with two regular bands as wellas occasional spots for stage work. So I must challenge one of your statements that having a profession and being a musician don't go together. There are several musician/physicians on this forum and I'm sure most would agree with me.

2. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA

The ultimate choice made will be the right choice for any given individual. And as we all travel down the highway of life on this earth, in the end the journey is the destination...don't doubt me on this!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  3. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Vstern: Here's my experience for what it's worth: I played trumpet in as many college groups as I could as a science major and took trumpet lessons during the summer when I wasn't in school; yes, during med school, internship, residency, and with starting a practice there was little time to play the trumpet. I'm settled now and play A LOT and ever so thankful that I had such a great college experience with great music teachers.

4. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    I can tell you the same thing I tell ALL my students, and other players bound for life after high school:

If you enjoy doing it, there is ALWAYS time for music. When I was in bands in college, they were filled with players from all over campus. undergrads, people working on doctorates, med school kids, architectural engineering, leisure studies, everything. now that I am out of school, most of those same people are to - and they are still playing as well!

If you want to play, you will. Thats all there is too it. If it doesnt bother you not to, you wont!

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I was just thinking I wouldn't want someone drilling in my mouth if he was pre-occupied about what could have been.
    Like has been said.. it's all about what is important to you and where you want to be in 20 years.
    We have alot of medical professions on this site who also play in performing groups as well ... kudos to them.
    I have also known people who said they wanted to make music their livelyhood who I knew for a fact were in for a rude awakening because they hadn't put in the time needed to be proficient ... and man did they need to.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So Vstern. The past school year has long ended and the new one is beginning... What have you decided?

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    He's working on his comeback! :roll:

8. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    If you want to choose between a conservatory trumpet education and med school, it really is up to you. You probably can't do both at the same time. For most people the conservatory is the only way to make music your profession.
    But choosing med school does not mean you can't play the trumpet anymore. I'm starting my fourth year of med school this month, and am in four bands as a full member and two more as a sub. In my three years in med school I have not failed a single test, and have not missed a single rehearsal of any of the four bands. Im just trying to say that it is not that hard to continue playing while going to university, if you really want to.

9. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Yes...take up golf, less headaches.....

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I don't think there's much chance of a bad decision being made .... "Indifference" to a possible future in music is not normally the place a successful musician starts from. I think you need a passion for it. IMO, that's the tradeoff. You love it, it's fun and fullfilling, both socially and artistically, and then that's why it's worth pursuing, even though, as an economic future, it's more uncertain than most careers.

Turtle