Should I stop playing trumpet after high school?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vstern, Nov 12, 2011.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I think the OP has turned his indiferrence towards being a writer.

2. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    The OP needs to know if he doesn't already that being a professional musician has always been a financially questionable path but is moreso questionable today because technology has shifted what music making is and isn't about namely instant gratification in the form of software as opposed to picking up an instrument and learning to master it with patience so that one can acquire a skill and create a reality based musical path.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Saw a situation where a "group" lost a really good guitar player. They couldn't find a replacement (no one wanted the job cuz the leader is very difficult). They finally just switched the keyboard to guitar mode. It wasn't the same but they thought it was good enough! :-(

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I've been listening to National Public Radio a lot lately. When it comes to the new "independent" music "stars" I can not believe how many young, and quite full of themselves, musicians who are making a name for themselves, even though they don't really play instruments (enough for full tracks for the radio), or work with/employ any real musicians, are being interviewed.

"I play the ukelele" one of them said (a young female singer) .... and, "With Autotune and sampling, I don't really feel a need to work with other musicians. I'm self taught. I never really felt a need for lessons when I was young ..." And, then, "It was, like, kind of a surprise when my song, "Little Dipper" went viral and sold three million copies, or something. I dunno." :-?

Turtle

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    What's the saying, "Just shoot me"?!

6. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    (I'm sorry if someone's already said this but...)

Think about it, if you become a dentist, there is a safer and generally larger income so you'll be able to buy more trumpets! ROFL

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Now, that's a smart move to become a doctor ... more trumpets and flugelhorns AND a real chance to CURE YOURSELF OF N+1.

Didn't seem to work for the G-Man. :lol:

Turtle

8. Chesley

Chesley New Friend

Jun 20, 2011
    Through my father I met several retired professionals, doctors, layers, accountants, that played on a semi-pro basis after retirement. I think most of them had kept playing as a hobby throughout their careers, though, but i can't say for sure.

Hey, I'm 64 and am just starting out in trumpet after having played cornet a year in 8th grade. If money is your thing, I'd think a physician will make more than most trumpet players will ever see, but you might become a star. Then all bets are off.

Good luck

9. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    I'm one of those doctors at Trumpetmaster who does both. Admittedly, I'm not a professional in that My income comes mostly from my practice of medicine, but my playing it at more than simple amateur level(although I know many amateurs who are superb musicians).
    I put myslef through medical school and spcialty training playing and then quit for long time( 12 years) and became a comeback player with.a good teacher who wisely decided we were going to start from scratch. I enjoy making music, but I also enjoy practising my profession. It's possible to enjoy both worlds. Don't give up playing, because in my opinion, people who make music are probably as imporant and serve as important a function as those treating the ill.:-)
    Dr. Mike

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    True story and one that is well known by the Turtle.