Should I stop playing trumpet after high school?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vstern, Nov 12, 2011.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Well, I do all my own plumbing, and have for years. Just call me cheap. or cheep, cheep, cheep...is more veery-like.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well according to Dale, they at least helped with my Getzen Super Deluxe! :D

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

Betcha they play GREAT plunger solos too.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    With some of the crap Kingtrumpet pulls out of his trumpet (and threads) I am betting he qualifies as a plumber.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Unlike physicians / dentists, no plumber I know of is constantly booked with appointments for service calls or installations. Still, when you really need one, it is doubtful if one is timely available and it becomes an A-Z search to find one. Still, I do know one that is a competent tenor sax player and participates in a community band when he can. Very few musicians are constantly booked even though some of these have agents that get them gigs.

6. Yogadidit

Yogadidit New Friend

Mar 25, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    I just read this old post, but couldn't resist replying. I was very active with trumpet in high school. I wanted to be either a pro-musician or a chemist. During college, where I didn't get much chance to play trumpet, I decided to go into dentistry. I put the trumpet aside completely for about eight years as I went through dental school, military and early years of my dental practice. Then I discovered a local community band, and have been active with that for the last 37 years. Putting the horn aside for awhile will not hurt, as long as you have the desire to have fun with music. Some physicians and dentists have done even more with their music than I have. Medicine and dentistry will give you the secure income to not worry about buying that new trumpet, flugel, cornet or pic. Good luck.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    well, I am not certified plumber, nor electrician, actually not certified in much of anything --except CPR, so if you pass out at a gig, and I am there --- I will try to save your life. I however consider myself a reasonably good stonemason, after building a house a few years ago. I actually did all of the plumbing, and most of the electric ---- but, I would rather not do that for a living -- (my main concern of course is not the actual mechanics of that work -- but often one would be required to crawl under a house, or wire something in the attic ---- I am not too keen on snakes, nor spiders.

interesting side-story here is that 5 years ago my Dad and Mom moved into another house. My Dad requested that I do the plumbing -- in a crawl space under the house, snakes, and spiders -- and actually a dead possum carcass -- I did the job successfully --- although, at one point, I became a little excited when I got stuck between the ground and a floor joist, and then a rat/mouse something ran by my head. I unstuck myself very quickly with only a few minor abrasions on my torso and a bump on my head. NOPE, don't much like plumbing jobs!!!!!!!!!!!!
    the trumpet is easier!!!

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

That's good, KT, in case you knock yourself out.

Turtle

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Yet you spent some time Down Under taking special surfing lessons, yes?, and returned home safely! :-)

--bumblebee

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

Yeah, I reassure my patients that I know CPR and 23 other letters of the alphabet. I'm sure that explains to them well what they should expect of me.

kingtrumpet likes this.