Should I take a risk?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by talcito, May 21, 2005.

1. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    How many of you have bought a horn over the internet and were satisfied with the horn when you received it?

Recently I tried a custom made horn by a horn maker in England. My friends horn felt perfect--just the sound and feel I am looking for.

I contacted the horn maker and the horn is priced reasonably, however he does not offer a trial period. He says he will make adjustments to the horn if I requested it after I receive it.

So are the odds of getting the perfect horn in the mail with me or against me?

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    If it's one of the "known" custom makers who also overhauls/repairs/resells used horns then your chances are excellent. If it's somebody who hasn't got a "known reputation" then you'd best beware, especially if you're shipping "back and forth across the pond".

3. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I bought my 1503 online, and have never been more happy with it.

Hmmm, he does offer you free modifications to fit you personally after you purchase, and you said the horn plays, sounds, and feels like what you want. I would say go for it. Does he offer a return policy?

Van

4. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    He offers modifications but not a full return.

Here's the horn info www.genevatrumpets.com

The horn maker is Timothy Oldroyd.

5. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    Hi talcito.
    I have heard about these instruments and actually was thinking of getting them for my shop.
    The maker is a very good guy,from what I heard,and the horns are very good as well.
    If you loved the way the horn played,go fo it.I am sure that the master will back his product up.

Felix

6. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    KC MO
    I might be concerned with the valve set as they do look like a valve set similar to Amati...

I am making an assumption but it looks like they are Amati "pro" valve sets.

Best,

T

7. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    I think that he is using the same valve sections as Lawler,but I cannot be sure.

8. rhdroc

rhdroc Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    Central Pennsylvania
    They look like very well made horns. I wish I could give the "Signature" model a test play!!

---<Rick

9. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    He tells me that he buys some bells from Lawler. Perhaps there is a good possibility that these are Lawler Valves sections as well.

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I thought Lawler uses Getzen valve blocks?