should lips touch

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Jan 20, 2013.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    I just read a piece where Vincent Bach says the lips should not touch when using a larger mouthpiece. Than I read articles by others who say you should . Such as making the Mm sound in the mouthpiece. Can anyone shed some light on this matter? It's really confusing.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It would be impossible to buzz and create sound on your instruments if the lips did not touch ... albeit momentarily. Final answer! Large or small mouthpiece is irrelevant.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  3. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    I second Ed's comment. Perhaps Mr Bach meant lips should not touch the cup. I can't site where you read that, but the buzzing sound is basically the flapping frequency of your lips as the air passes. By tightening your emboucher, the pitch will change. Therefore, lips will touch, then they won't in very rapid moments.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Acarido touches on an element that is a curse to performance IMO and that is getting the lip(s) inside the cup of the mouthpiece as is usually induced by excessive (left elbow) pressure. The more your lips protrude into the mouthpiece the less you derive from the design of the mouthpiece cup and the less control you have of it. Your lips only need a seal contact with the rim. Yes, obviouly your lips will have some small curvature across the diameter of the rim that enters the volume of the cup, but when the lips have strength and are firm this lessens. IMO if one has a good tone chromatically from C1 to C3 they are a PLAYER and their instrument is in fine condition and well tuned.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Agree with my two esteemed forum members. I'm not sure of your Bach reference (do share), but there is a belief that buzzing does not occur for some players when they play. I had one guy tell me this and I asked him to elaborate and he said his lips don't buzz because he wasn't aware of it or couldn't feel it. I did the old lip buzz, put the trumpet to your lips thing, and he still didn't believe it. So I stopped "casting pearls" to this guy. He said the "airflow" cause the sound in the trumpet not buzzing lips!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Lips not touching to create a buzz makes as much sense as a one finger snap... which by the way IS a pretty cool song by Herbie Hancock.

7. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Doc, classic comment. Hahaha.....

8. Pablopicasso

Pablopicasso New Friend

Jan 14, 2013
    It is right, lips do not touch inside the mouthpiece. Make air produce the note NOT buzzing. It sure makes playing easy/effortless. Buzzing is a hiding to nothing. Open "0" shaped hole and easy blowing. Magic

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  9. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Did you discover this during your blue period?

10. Pablopicasso

Pablopicasso New Friend

Jan 14, 2013
    Blue or svante garde