should this horn be in the hands of a 7th grader?

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by dizforprez, Dec 6, 2005.

1. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I had a student walk into band today what looks like a pretty old horn( 1928 I think) and was wanting to know if somone could tell me the value of the horn.

The SN is 258XXX, the lead pipe reads 2 B. The bell reads made by C. G. Conn Elkhart U.S.A, the horn is in MINT condition.

Is this a horn that should be held on to until they are able to take care of it?

2. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    Have someone hold onto that one - thats a pro level horn, worth a pretty penny, especially in mint condition. You are also correct on the date, 1928. The Conn 2B "New World Symphony" trumpet has the #1 1/2 bore in Conn Horns, about a .459, or a medium bore.

One question though; I was just wondering if it was a saddle on the first valve slide, or a trigger?

If they're going to play that as a begining student, make sure they know what they have and are gonna take care of it. Else, I would suggest setting them up with a good student horn to start on.

3. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
  4. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    thanks! it is just like the one in the link right down to the little first valve slide ring, the only thing that is different is the gold trim( his only has it in the bell).

The horn plays pretty well, alot better than I would have thought.

5. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I have a 6th grader that walked in one day with a Bach trumpet. He told me it was his father's horn. I looked at the bell and sure enough it was a Mt. Vernon. I called the father and found out that it was his father's trumpet (grandfather of my student).

This child plays it everyday. He never lets anyone else hold it, and takes fantastic care of this horn. My point is that the child you asked about might also take better care of his horn than an adult.

My young student found out that his horn was special. I really think that this helped him to progress better because he loves to play the horn -- because it is special and because of the family history. I say let the kid play it!

6. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Well, it is not like I will be telling the kid he can or cant play it. The actual choice of him playing it or not playing it will be up to his folks, I just want to make sure they know what they have if it is worth anything.

As far as this kid taking care of it, that isnt going to happen...I have seen his last 3 trumpets.... :lol:

:cry:

7. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    Trade him a puppy for it.

Robert Rowe

8. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

C. G. Conn made more horns than anyone in their glory days. Many were mediocre, some really crappy . . . but some that were wonderful. They really pushed the envelope to try to invent the wrap, bore, bell flare, etc. that would make the perfect trumpet.

The 2B was a real winner! Based on a F. Besson-type wrap and bore size, it came out about the time that V. Bach was doing his own experiments on a F. Besson clone horn himself!

Lots of pros back then played the 2B and a pristine one today is still a very fine horn.

Now at the same time . . . they produced the 18B . . . and it didn't blow, it sucked!

Maybe they can find a vintage 1920's 18B for the kid to bang around and save that 2B for his more mature years. Then again, most mature and serious players play other horns today by choice so . . . what the heck!

For those who don't know, C. G. Conn trumpet models ended in a "B," while their cornet line models ended in an "A."

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

9. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    Whatever -- and I mean WHATEVER -- you do, make sure that kid never takes that horn to the marching field. I'm really starting to develop a problem with young, immature students marching pro-quality horns (usually at the behest of the director, for a more "blended" sound!).

10. RoccoNut16v

RoccoNut16v New Friend

Oct 11, 2005
    Texas
    I marched my strad on the field. I always took my case though, and when I wasn't playing it was sealed up. It was also widely understood that anybody that so much as looked at it hard would bleed to death right then and there, so I had no problems! :twisted: