Should we have moist lips on the mouthpiece?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Terrizzi, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    When I say "dry", I mean that I will literally wipe any moisture off my lips before I play. I like a firm grip on my mouthpiece...I don't like it when my lips slip n' slide around!

Kujo

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    In this case, I agree as this gives me much more control as I have very little area in which I maintain my sweat spot.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Just to suggest a flatter rim mpc might be more favorable and a tiny bit of beard stubble I've heard helps also. I just don't wiggle my head when playing.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I play "dry," even to the point of wiping the moisture off my lips, but many players prefer to moisten their lips. It is a classic "Ford or Chevy" question. Whichever works best for you is the way to play.

5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    That's an anatomy MOUTHful lesson right there!!:D
    I also like somewhat wet lips, but when I perspire I don't want that to get in the way and wipe my mouth with a towel to maintain somewhat dry condition, but not like a desert.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Too, what worked for you when you were young, may not work for you later in life. I've played in the heat with my perspiration building on my lips and my mouthpiece was so hot it nearly burned, and I've played in the windy frigid cold when a metal mpc would about stick in place on your lips, thus time and environment are factors. No one will know the universal answer until a random surveillance of players at all levels and conditions is analyzed, and I'm not presently going to be concerned about it until I read the report from the analysts. Until then life for me goes forward however I can.

7. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    "I love stats...it clears the room of everyone except trumpet players". From Jens Lindemann's mouthpiece rant.
    I am at the age and the experience that I find a large majority of opinions on trumpet playing are pointless to me, but maybe not to others.
    For me, moist lips work best and any whisker on my lips where the mouthpiece is positioned and under the mouthpiece is an annoyance. Others can do what they will and as I say, except for for the curiosity's sake, what they do is meaningless to me.
    Rich T.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Such is not less than an annoyance to me also, but there are or have been many men who have had mustache, beard or both and been a player of the trumpet / cornet outstandingly. Too. such is meaningless to me and not something I would teach to a beginning child. As to moist lips, I don't teach that either and let nature take its course.

9. Gordon H.

Gordon H. New Friend

Nov 5, 2006
    Terrizzi,

There are famous players that play very wet and those that play very dry. Couple examples, Allen Vizzutti plays quite wet, and Vinny Dimartino plays quite dry. Please don't let this issue be a concern. Just figure out what works for you and stick with it.

Playing dry gives you a nice grip, but can be hard to maintain if it is hot and you are sweating (some carry a cloth). When you play dry you have to be more precise with your placement because you can't easily slide around if you get it wrong. Sometimes dry player have trouble with skin irritation, but this is a problem for a small minority of players.

Playing wet is easy to maintain unless you tend to get dry when you are nervous. If you play as wet as me, you end up looking silly. I lick the whole mouthpiece so it looks like I'm doing a lizard impression.

Most players just lick the lips slightly, but you should experiment and find out what works for you.

All the best,
    Gordon

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Gordon, and any others who do likewise, I hope you maintain your mouthpiece(s) with extra hygenic care. Still, I believe you just meant the rim and cup. With my mouthpiece hygenic regimen, such is also not a concern for me except for wear when the brass shows, as is when they are off for replating.