Should we have moist lips on the mouthpiece?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Terrizzi, Oct 29, 2011.

1. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I play wet, and play lots of shows in hot and sweaty clubs. If I *had* to play dry, I don't know what I'd do in those situations.

2. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Wet, Dry, Lubed up, not lubed up. Listen to and HEAR your chops, only they can tell you
    what works for YOU….. :cool:

3. Gordon H.

Gordon H. New Friend

Nov 5, 2006
    Funny - yes, I just lick the rim not a striaght up and down the old horn. No theatrics really. I keep it clean, but I don't go hyper-hygiene. I generally don't let it touch the floor. ;) No I don't share mpcs, and no I don't gets lots of colds. It really makes people cross their eyes when I play on their mouthpiece(after a good alcohol swab) so I try and just lick my lips then so they won't freak out.

Take care man - thanks for looking out for us wets.
    Gordon

4. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I prefer a bit of moisture. I used to play as dry as I could, but after working to reduce pressure, I prefer to just lick my my lips before playing. So moist, but not wet, if that makes any sense. I liked dry when I used more pressure.

5. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I do not play other people’s equipment, ( Hurl !! ) and never hand my horn to someone else to play..
    Just ask any brass tech what the inside of some horns look like that come in for an acid bath, Nasty !!

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    As I acquire pre-owned instruments and mouthpieces, my first action is to send them off to a competent tech for ultra-sound / chem bath (plus suggested other repairs) and my mouthpieces go off for refurb and replating. My basic rationale for this is: If I wouldn't play it myself, I wouldn't expect a subsequent buyer to play it. My own mouthpieces are kept in sealed containers with an alchohol based mouthwash ... not in the case ... and the same for those in my inventory. Certainly this is added costs, which I cannot afford to give away but I value my health as well as the health of others to whom I sell and instrument or mouthpiece, the latter as also preserves my reputation.

7. Gordon H.

Gordon H. New Friend

Nov 5, 2006
    Sorry, didn't mean to throw us off topic. Hey. I used to chem clean horns for a shop, so I know what's in there. I wasn't planning on licking the inside.
    : )

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Just a Dawn bath and use of a snake brush on many instruments can reveal enough to now gross me out . Encountered such just recently on a school trumpet just issued to one of my students in August, and I'd also swear it had prior been played by a smoker (I should know as I once smoked) and I am certain this young boy doesn't.

Too, I think it is understood by most that when we refer to "wet" we only mean "moist" as otherwise we'd be blowing fluid into our instruments.

9. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I would like to officially thank you for bringing this whole topic up. Now I'm so conscious whether my lips are wet? moist? how wet? how moist? dry with a touch of moisture? humid, arid, relatively humid or arid? NOW I am so preoccupied with the wetness of my lips, I forget to ignore it like I used to!!!! THANKS LOTS!;-)

10. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Hey, today's XKCD cartoon has a similar theme!

November is tongue-awareness month
    [​IMG]

--bumblebee