Shouldn't of done it

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Hi

I been itching to hear what a Monette sounds like for a while now... I decided to go to the Monette website and see some sound samples of the Monette trumpets.

It was the biggest mistake I ever made.

Now I HAVE to get one. I was thinking when I get better to try out Shilkes and Strads and whatever else is in that pro range but as it happenes I have made my decision. Its none of them. Monette is absolutelly gorgeous. For classical, I have not heard a better sounding trumpet. Even the Jazz trumpet they got (which I dont like jazz) blew me away how good it sounded.

Now im not happy with the stomvi that I own and its years before I can consider a monette... TOTAL mistake wanting to hear it, ARGH.

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    If you want, I will send you a recording of ME playing a Monette - that will totally erase your brain and the memory you have of how good it sounded. Problem solved! ;-)

nordlandstrompet likes this.
  3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Dont be misled by what you have heard, cultivate your own sound, it will be individual and owning a Monette Will not give you someone elses sound.

I have a vintage Selmer Balanced, the model played by Harry James and Louis Armstrong two different sounds and do I sound like either......... No way.
    I have my sound regardless of the instrument from 80 year old Conn peashooter, large bore Selmer Radial to new Eclipse MS.
    I have not played a Monette, I have enough horns.

Brass and Woodwind in Melbourne have a secondhand Monette, belonged to Vince Jones at $6,800 raw brass, I did not give it a second look until the salesman told me what it was.

Regards, Stuart.

4. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Does that mean if I buy a set of Nike boots I will be able to slam dunk like Michael Jordan?

5. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    I know what you all mean but you must of all misread what I meant.

I love the tonal quality of a Monette. I am not interested in sounding like someone else, im interested in the sound of the monette played the way I play.

Anyone got any idea howmuch they cost approx?

Comebackkid: ROFLROFL

6. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Last year's prices started at $9,250.00 USD for a 993 Classic, $14,550.00 USD for the one Wynton is using, Prana 3-STC(Sheldon The Cat) and $10,550.00 USD for a Prana 3.
    Ajna Prana II $13,050.00 USD. Not a horn for everyone.
    Try their mouthpieces first! If you don't like them, don't buy a Monette horn!

A lot of used Monette horns here:

Used Trumpets at Pro Shop for Brass Players

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    GXMan,
    I understand where you are coming from. Money can govern what you buy, but should NEVER determine what you like.

I too like the "creamy" sound of a Monette and am very happy with the Prana3. It is not my only horn however. I have a Bach C when I need that "standard sound" and several other instruments depending on what I am playing.

The Monette DOES create a certain amount of pressure on the second and third players to play with a bigger, fuller, more resonant sound.

8. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    So im looking between 12 000-18 000 AU dollars depending on which model I get.

Will be a great graduation present for me when I finish my Pastorial/Evangelism degree.:D

9. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Hope there is some money in the evangelical field. There's a fair few sermons to pay for one of those Monettes

10. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    You have to add $2,200.00USD for the gold finnish too :-)