Shredded (literally) face recovery... ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Nicklysiakjazztrumpeteer, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Nicklysiakjazztrumpeteer

Nicklysiakjazztrumpeteer Pianissimo User

Feb 14, 2011
    Caldwell, Idaho
    Well friends, I have to say, I am a smart one indeed.

we were running laps before marching band about a month ago. the cheerleaders were on the field practing, and of course I got distracted and ran into a big metal post off the side of our track.

well, I smashed the right side of my face into my teeth and literally cut it to shreds.
    I spat an unbelievable amount of blood and went home. I didn't need stitches and it has sense 'healed' enough for me to play.

Here's where the fun starts.

I now have a "dead spot", which is what I call the bean-sized spot of firm, unmoving, painful flesh that exists on my face.

I can no longer play above the G in the staff, and the G is extremely sharp.

I was wondering if anyone had a similar bit of disgusting paralyzed flesh in their faces and what I could do to get this abomination to leave forever.

2. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Tsk. Tsk. Tsk...high school boys running into things. I hope they were pretty.

I have no idea what you can do to help your lips, and I am sorry that happened. I think the best you can do is learn to adapt to it.

3. Nicklysiakjazztrumpeteer

Nicklysiakjazztrumpeteer Pianissimo User

Feb 14, 2011
    Caldwell, Idaho
    it wasn't so much their looks as they were making the most horrendous noise in the world.

Like every woman, high school girls think they can sing.

they can not.

4. Johnny B.

Johnny B. New Friend

Jun 25, 2012
    When I had my wisdom teeth removed, they inadvertently bruised a nerve and caused part of my lip to go numb. Took a loooong time for any sensation to return. Hope your face heals quick:)

5. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Had an issue once with something similar.
    Suggestion -- long tones. Very light, don't stress the lip at all, don't overdo it. Over time, the feeling should return, but even before then, you should be ok to play soon enough. I'd stay off the horn for a week.

6. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Yuk thats hard pal. I'm going to sound like a cracked record but is there any way you could discuss this with a teacher. You might be adjusting unconciously to a force embouchre change. The other thing and doc Gmonady might give you a bit more on this is to have a doc check it out there could be some nerve damage.

Hope you sort your self out soon

Cheers

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    D.C. I mean really? If you see one metal post, you've seen them all!

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Without an exam, it is hard to tell. So Cornyandy's advice is't so Corny... have a doc check it out.

Ok, now it is going out on a limb time. What may have happened is a granuloma had formed at the injury site, which is putting pressure on the nerve bundle in the area, causing it to numb. Relieving this pressure (by removing the lump) may bring this function back. I sometimes use this technique to make shots less painful, buy putting pressure around the injection site before inserting the needle.

You can try this experiment yourself on Kingtrumpt. Next time you see him, place both of your hands around his neck and hold them there tightly for, oh let's say 5 minutes. I am absolutely sure, after doing this, Kingtrumpet will no longer be feeling pain... EVER.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Whoops! Whenever KT is strangled to death, I'd expect the defense attorney to raise the issue of, "Doc told me to do it!" viz accessory before the fact ... akin to murder for hire. Whoops! Docs have a dominant role in our lives.

10. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    During my junior year or so of high school, I took a nasty fist to the chops from one of the local barking spiders. The upper lip split badly, the lower a bit less so, but the swelling and pain were intense. It really messed up my first - and, as it turned out, only - date that night with a girl I'd lusted after for a long time, but other than that, there were no lasting problems. It did take about six weeks to heal, though, and I couldn't play at all for part of that time. Nerves and their endings do regenerate over time, but they seem to take longer than most other healing processes. If you can't play above G in the staff, just enjoy the 3rd trumpet parts for a while. Or take the opportunity to work on your low brass doubling skills, or help out the percussion line. Probably the best bet for allowing your face to heal would be to slip into something Lycra and grab a flag....

I know a young trumpet player who ran into a steel post coming out of a wind ensemble rehearsal one night, simply because she was running off her mouth and not watching where she was going. In her case, it was just a goose-egg on the forehead. Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012