Shy trumpet player

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ckkphoto, Feb 23, 2013.

1. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    Shy trumpet player. Sounds like an oxymoron but seriously. When I was a kid my parents couldn't get me to practice. It wasn't because I didn't like the trumpet, it was because I didn't want anyone to hear me. Didn't know back then that there was a thing called a practice mute. That continued through junior high (even though I was fourth chair). Now as an adult I still deal with it. Actually since starting back playing this last November I have played FAR more through a practice mute than out loud. But the good news is that we have been shopping for and hope to close on a house soon (we have been renting temporarily after a job related move). One of my requirements has been a stand alone building I could use as a shop. This has that and will work fabulously as a place to practice--out loud--without worrying about who hears. Finally! I used to play trumpet for church...I have no problem playing in front of others...just don't like people hearing me practice. I have read a large number of posts on this site and have not seen anyone post anything like this. Anyone else? :oops:

2. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Personally, I think it's a greater crime not to let anyone hear a 22b, rather than otherwise. When I picked up my first horn at 11 and could play simple tunes within a year, I was slightly embarrassed at being heard. I must have sounded like a Surinam Toad in mating season....
    With practice and self-confidence I no longer cared.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I too quite dislike having people hear me practice - I've always stopped when my wife comes into the practice room, but I am making an effort to ignore her. I'm finding that she will leave the practice room door open when she leaves. I like practicing in a large space - the local Scout Hall works a treat for me.

4. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Me too, I don't mind if I'm playing something but not when I'm working on stuff.....

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I subjected my landlady in Germany to about six hours a day of practice. 2/3rds boring routine and 1/3rd music, with stops and starts. Poor lady, but she never complained--in fact she liked knowing someone else was in the house. Lucky me!

6. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Guess I was lucky, never minded somebody hearing me practice, clams and all:oops::cool:

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I think we believe people are paying far more attention to our practice sounds than they actually do. Other people have their own stuff going on and are pretty absorbed in it.

My wife always applauds or makes a nice comment whenever I play through anything all the way - an etude, a standard, playalong, even those Clarkish wiggly scales. She would never say anything negative, even if she was as aware of my failings as am I. She knows how important it is to me, and that makes it important for her to give me positive reinforcement. She DOES say I have a love/hate relationship with practicing, and she knows what she is talking about.

I am not a high note player, I can occasionally squeak out an F or G above the staff, but if I were to do more of that I think she would ask me to stop.

8. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    I never minded someone hearing me practicing in my room until ................. the neighbour started complaining in which made me a little self conscious.
    This actually impeded me as I was always thinking about the neighbour's reaction, when I tried to practiced.
    So know I practice at the band room every day lucky its just down the road never looked back except the costs towards the up keep of the bandroom.
    The only down side is I can't pick up the horn when I feel like and limited 2-3 hours at the room.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    When living with my parents, there was no way for me to avoid a practice regimen, my parents put such equal to my other studies. My first 2 wives never heard me practice/play. My present wife doesn't mind listening to a finished song, but the repetition of parts over and over of it drive her to irritation, therefore I use a YSB or practice when she is not about. Thus I expect 45 years of this marriage to last until 50 years plus, the good Lord letting me live that long.

10. Jazz

Jazz New Friend

Feb 4, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Never a big fan of others hearing the early stages of a piece, that's our business, right!