Shy trumpet player

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ckkphoto, Feb 23, 2013.

1. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I agree with a lot of the above, but am proud of the plain ol work that it takes to sound good in the end. When Im in my room woodsheding a difficult piece and playing the hard spots over and over my daughter refers to me as the distracting trumpet. I dont brag about how long it takes to get a piece down so that I dont embarras myself, but I dont mind that others gain an appreciation of the fact that the trumpet just doesnt play itself....which brings me to a new point (sorry)...Ive come to realise that working harder leads to an adversarial feel to playing. Im going to work on my relaxation and getting the sound to be more effortless. Best wishes.

2. Jazz

Jazz New Friend

Feb 4, 2012
    Boston, MA
    In addition to what Larry said above, the pride that can become part of your playing due to a certain amount of grueling and repetitive practice is something that only we as players need to worry about. However, others may enjoy hearing that noise that they had been noticing in the background at home for so long connect with a larger ensemble in context so that it makes sense :D

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I used to worry about the noise I make, especially when doing drills, scales etc.

But the garage band in my street doesn't hold back, nor do the motorcyclists or lawnmowers, so I don't worry so much any more. In the evenings I go to my workplace where I can usually play any way I want in the boardroom - nobody working at that time (usually).

I think you are not alone.

--bumblebee

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  4. Geoff

Geoff New Friend

Jan 10, 2011
    Bass River
    Oh Shy, I spent a great deal of time working on several sets of slightly atonal French etudes in my youth and really though nothing of the household until one day my sister came down the steps mindlessly humming my most difficult exercise. She hum'ed it very well. I was flattered.
    I often try to find a local church and a slightly friendly (oxymoron in itself) Choir Master to allow me practice time once or twice a week in the church hall or a larger practice area. In turn, I'll play descant when needed and suffer through the horrible discord of 4th & 5th which organist do like to play in mock fanfares (Augh). In the off time I live in a trailer park and do use the mutes but also when not working on extreme range or Jazz, I can play reasonably soft. Cornets and Flugelhorns, softer (conical in nature) are also reasonable in 'damping' open playing.

5. Jazz

Jazz New Friend

Feb 4, 2012
    Boston, MA
    +1 to what Bumblebee said, let's just hope that's the only time our playing and a lawnmower are in the same sentence ROFLROFLROFL

6. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    I'm sooooo lucky ,I can toot away all day ,nobody here but the 2 dog's and one is deaf :dontknow:

Today i'm so proud of my self ,i can play through the Vega solo without stopping ,AND i hit a DHC for the first time ,I know this is not a big deal for most of you but looking back too my first time playing ,i could have never played these things ,so it's great fun for me to see progress after 3 months . :roll:

There is great satisfaction in practice I find ,even if it's for short periods ,by the way the satisfaction does'nt come on the day that your struggling with a note or particular piece ,but the next time you play.

I've had day's i thought were a waste of time ,my chops were hamburger ,barely could hold a note ,:thumbdown:but next time i sounded better tone wise and everything so ,a bad day is just another day.

All the best with your practice shy .:play:

I remember back-in -the-day ,one of my class-mates dad built a box from cardbourd and lined it with insulation so he could practice in the basement without bothering the house ,i bet today there is a device like that.:grouphug:

Dean_0

7. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    DHC? I believe congrats are in order.

8. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    You probably would'nt think so if you 'd heard it :-o ,but thanks :D

Dean_0

9. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I presume she was hard of hearing - at least afterwards! ;)

10. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I used to get a bit shy especially at uni in the practice rooms. Now I don't mind too much except for long tones. I just think they must be so maddening to listen to.