Sick of it

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Manny Laureano, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Don't know about you folks but I , for one, am sick and tired of the reports of false abductions, the latest being this little moron from Georgia. We had a situation like this in MN. last year and I think it's an incredible act of cowardice by people who, in each case, didn't want to face something.

I think of the people who stop in their tracks upon hearing such stories, (as they start out) and offer prayer, volunteer their time and effort looking for these idiots, get questioned by police and it disgusts me.

I forsee a time when it'll begin to affect the sense of urgency that "Amber Alerts" are supposed to instill for child abductions. "Ah, it's just another dad/mom who grabbed up their kid and took him/her to Albequerque." I'm terribly afraid of the "boy who cried wolf" syndrome as a result of these cases. Yes, I know all about parents who abduct chidren with intent to do harm. However, you know what I mean when we talk about a stranger crawling in through a window and stealing your flesh and blood to do harm and disappearing without a trace. You have no idea what this person looked like. At least with a former spouse you have something to give the officials to work with.

Then you have the greedy morons who are responsible for reputation tainting and job dismissal like the "finger in the chili" business at Wendy's.

I would like to see people doing hard time again. Not just for this garbage but many other crimes, as well. In MN we having this stupid "no double bunking rule" in our prison system. It means that it's illegal to have more than one prisoner per cell so you have a system that lets offenders out because the jails are full! Let's not make going to prison too rough, okay?
    Do a search on recidivism rates nationally and locally. You may be astonished.

What would it take for you to fake a story that would involve someone committing a supposed felony? If this topic is better suited for the cage, I won't be offended, mods.

ML

2. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    Gee, wish we had a "double bunking" rule in the Army.....
    I completely agree with you. If we can't make these people do time for these crimes, they should at least be held liable for the wasted taxpayers money and time of police officers who in all likelyhood have real crimes to work on.
    -J

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I just wish that more of the "Amber Alerts" for children would turn out to be false alarms.

4. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    The legal system needs a major change in values in my opinion. Since when was stealing a TV a more punishable crime than killing someone in the second degree?

5. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    Yeah Toots, even here in Germany I've been overwhelmed by the number of child abductions that are going on in the states right now. I'm kinda scared to even ask but, are there more child abductions happening or are we just broadcasting more of them over the news?
    As far as I'm concerned child molestation should be a "one strike your out" type crime. I view it in the same class as murder to tell you the truth. I could say more but not using the language this board normally defines as "acceptable." Anyway, glad I'm not the only one that's noticed all these child abductions.
    -J

6. riffdawg2000

riffdawg2000 Pianissimo User

Jan 9, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Considering the fact I live about 1/2 a mile from the home that Jennifer Wilbanks and her (probably soon to be EX) fiance live ... I truly hope that she receives a $10k + citation for wasting the Duluth PD time ... and the stress she placed on the community as a whole.

(Plus the pair of pants I ripped..looking in the woods behind our townhouse when I took the dog on a short 'hunt')

7. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    I may be a lil outdated but I believe that if someone commits a crime they oughtta be taken out back and shot. Eye for an Eye type thing. Prison now a days is a joke anyways. It's like a resort, cable, hot meals, recreation. As a whole, people know right from wrong and I don't understand why we keep making excuses for them....

Locked and loaded.

8. jpkaminga

jpkaminga Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2004
    Boston
    Bear,
    You're definitely right that an "eye for an eye" system is outdated, isn't it part or Hammurabi's code, the first known codified law system. "Eye for an eye" makes punishment take on the character of revenge. Is punishment about revenge or is it about solving a problem? Luckily our system is not "eye for an eye" and has evolved so as to take many aspects of criminal life into consideration when administering justice, ie motive/intent and even the unintentional factors like psychosis . We definitely don't have a perfect justice system, cable TV in prison is a joke, libraries should be enough, and it seems like the wrong people go away for the wrong crimes. Marijuana offenses should not be punishable by jail time unless they are closely associated with organized crime. I don't know what can be done about all the cowards, freaks and violent sociopaths in this country but the current system ain't working. maybe more jails with less amenities, i dunno, less cable and higher education in prisons. Oh and people like the Enron bastards should have done hard time right next to the murderers and drug dealers. so much things to say (great bob marley song)

9. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Yeah JP,
    Something like that. Prison (if ya don't get shot first) ought to be a 4 ft cell with nothin' but a cot and a toilet.. maybe not even a toilet, they should sit in their own poop. In that case, let's get rid of the cot too, they can sleep on the floor. I however don't think there ought to be a library, make the criminals smarter? Heck no. Leave 'em locked up 24/7 and let 'em think about how useless they are to society. And IF (big if if I was in charge) they make parole, there ain't no second chances, you screw up again and you're gone buddy. Reputation, being a man of your word is a big thing... or at least it used to be. I also agree that it seems the wrong people go to jaiul for the wrong reasons.. but nothin is perfect and we are only human. In the end, God will take care of it all.

10. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    No, "an eye for an eye" has nothing to do with revenge. It comes from the Torah. It came at a time when there was great lawlesness and a need to impose limitations on man. People engaged in vengeful acts all the time and went way over the line in exacting punishments for a variety of offenses. "An eye for an eye" was commanded in order to keep people from punishing in an unjust way, greater than the crime itself.

You couldn't kill a man for stealing as people would do before. You could kill a man for having murdered an innocent person, however.

ML