Side Embrochures

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dcbrown1, Jul 13, 2006.

1. dcbrown1

dcbrown1 Pianissimo User

Oct 1, 2005
    Not sure how many folks this impacts...but thought it might be a good topic for Manny and others to address. Folks with slight V-shape front teeth have a challenge (as is the case with me)...hence I've played on the right side for over 35 years. Good range and flexibility (peddle tones through g# above high C). 25 years ago...all was going well until I went to the University of Wisconsin--Eau Claire. Dominck Spera changed me to the center. Results were okay...could play somewhat cleaner, but range and flexibility were extremely limited. Ended up switching back...and it cost me about 5 years of progress.

Anyway...question is...generally speaking...does offset playing represent a significant disadvantage? Might be interesting to know what experieces others have had.

Thanks,

Dave Brown

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Sigh... that must have been tough.

Predictably, you know I'll say it's about sound quality, endurance, and range. If you can do as well as the next player then you stick with what works. What is always a concern that one is hitting a ceiling as a result of a limitation in the embouchure that the player may not realize is there. That's where a good teacher comes in a makes a recommendation to change if it's determined that the embouchure is the cause of those limitations and nothing else.

I've had several students with side embouchures and whatever problems they may have had playing were not embouchure related. It was other issues that were at play.

ML

3. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    One of the trumpet players in the German Brass DVD has a wicked side embouchure, needless to say he's doing ok :D

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Ain't that the truth!?

5. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    I attended the ITG 2004 New Works Recital in Denver and there was a player there that I thoroughly enjoyed who was using a “side embouchureâ€. His name is Denver Dill and this is a picture from the ITG web site (I'll delete this image in several days):

[​IMG]

He had no limitations based on his set-up!

6. dow30

dow30 Piano User

Apr 26, 2005
    NY
  7. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    Also, Jon Faddis is an excellent example of a wonderful player who has had great success with an off-center mouthpiece placement.

Tony

8. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
  9. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    So, it would seem we're in agreement....

Talent always wins in the end.

The body will find a way to accomplish that which the mind believes in and makes a priority.

We all have slight to great variations in dental structure.

We all have a variety of lip sizes and facial muscular strength.

We all have different lung shapes and volumes.

We all have to practice to give life to our talent.

ML

10. dcbrown1

dcbrown1 Pianissimo User

Oct 1, 2005
    Thanks for the feedback. Here's the sad part...Dominick made the decision in about 2 minutes after just asking me to buzz my lips. When the center buzzed...he instantly concluded I needed to switch from the side to the middle...AND make switching a condition of studying with him. Urrrrr. Anyway...25 years later...all is well. Good range, sound etc.